Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Games & RecreationVideo & Online Games · 7 years ago

Survey on Video Games and Violence.?

Hello, I'm currently taking a sociology class and have been asked to do a brief survey on video games and violence it may or may not cause. Please understand that all questions are optional, this is for players only, this is intended to prove a point or to gain evidence: it is to see what you (the player/gamer) think.

____________________

How old are you?

How long have you played video games?

What gaming consoles do you play? (Xbox, Xbox 360, Playstation 1-3, Wii, Wii U, Computer, ect.)

How many hours a day do you dedicate to playing video games?

How many days of the week do you play video games?

Do you play online? (Xbox Live, Playstation Network, ect.)

What genre video games do you play? (Fighting, First Person Shooter, Racing, Strategy, ect.)

Do you have any other extracurricular activities? (sports, art, clubs, reading, ect.)

Do you play teen rated games? If so could you please list a few examples?

Do you play mature rated video games?

If so, could you please list a few examples?

Have you, or any of your family/friends noticed a change in personality when you play video games? (depression, anger, nihilistic, happy, ect)

When you play video games with others, do you find yourself behaving aggressively?

Do you think video games effect your social life?

If so how?

Do you think video games make you violent?

____________________

Thank you for your opinion, please spread the link for this survey around.

Best Answer

1) 33

2) +/- 27 years (earliest game I remember playing was when I was 6)

3) Currently or in total? I'll assume you mean currently:

XBox 360, PS3, PC, 3DS, PS2, XBox, Gamecube, N64

I have owned almost every major console in the last 3 decades, but not managed to keep them all (unfortunately)

4) Varies - On any given work day, about 2 - 3 hours. Any day I'm off about 6 - 10. But these hours also fluctuate depending on social commitments.

5) Varies - most, if I have nothing else planned

6) Yes, XBL & PSN

7) Most, but I prefer RPGs

8) Yes (I hike, also an avid movie buff, I like to dance and love driving fast cars)

9) I play pretty much everything, so feel free to pick an T rated game and it's likely that I've at least tried it.

10) I play pretty much everything, so feel free to pick an M rated game and it's likely that I've at least tried it.

11) As I've always been gaming, everyone who knows me, only knows me the way that I am currently.

12) No. Occasional frustration when I hit a frustrating part of a game but I am mature enough to see past it. Same applies online: If people I go up against are acting like idiots, or unfairly, I either mute communication or quit and play something else for a while.

13) Yes. Most of my friends are gamers, so we do talk about games even when not playing with them.

14) No, why would they. Video games act as a medium. People either are or are not violent by nature. Video games do not cause individuals to become violent, unless they already had issues before hand. At worst they might be a catalyst to violent behaviour, but only for individuals already suffering from mental instabilities. To be honest I find this question insulting. Anyone answering yes is clearly suffering from deeper issues, but are conveniently blaming video games to absolve them from responsibility.

Now it's my turn to ask some questions:

1) What is the point to this as it seems to to have an underlying purpose?

2) Are you anti-gaming?

3) Do you plan on twisting and contorting the answers from this survey to serve some unmentioned agenda?

- I do NOT give my consent to use the information I have provided for any other purpose than your own personal interest.

How old are you? - 22

How long have you played video games? Since I was a child.

What gaming consoles do you play? (Xbox, Xbox 360, Playstation 1-3, Wii, Wii U, Computer, ect.) Mostly xbox. I have a Wii but hardly ever play it.

How many hours a day do you dedicate to playing video games? Probably around 6-9 hours.

How many days of the week do you play video games? 5-6 days

Do you play online? (Xbox Live, Playstation Network, ect.) Yes, XBL.

What genre video games do you play? (Fighting, First Person Shooter, Racing, Strategy, ect.) Fighting, FPS, Sandbox RPG and Racing.

Do you have any other extracurricular activities? (sports, art, clubs, reading, ect.) Play guitar, watch football (soccer) and other sports. Love music.

Do you play teen rated games? Yes.

If so could you please list a few examples? I'll just go by the ratings here in Ireland which is age rather than Teen/Mature.. So yeah rated age 15 would be like Halo, Alone in the Dark and the AC series fo me.

Do you play mature rated video games? Yes, rated 18

If so, could you please list a few examples? I mostly play CoD and GOW.

Have you, or any of your family/friends noticed a change in personality when you play video games? (depression, anger, nihilistic, happy, ect) No.

When you play video games with others, do you find yourself behaving aggressively? No, only sometimes when other people frustrate me by not playing properly or doing stupid things.

Do you think video games effect your social life? Sometimes.

If so how? It can if it's allowed, like if video games are played to an extent that you don't have a passion for anything else.

Do you think video games make you violent? No. Probably more so in younger kids because they take it way too seriously. Games don't make me violent - the people do lol.

How old are you?

- 33

How long have you played video games?

- since I was 6 or so

- PC. PS2, PS3, PSP

- About an hour to 2, sometimes more on weekends. Sometimes I won´t play if I´m busy for a day.

- perhaps 5 days p/w

- PSN

- Platform, racing, FPS, Fighting, but mainly FPS.

- Reading, Clubs, Music (playing and listening), Museums, Bit of cycling.

- Uncharted, Onimusha, Dust 514, Batman,

Do you play mature rated video games?

- Yes

- Doom again and again! Dead Space 1-3, Bioshock 1-3

- More interested in what I´m doing. Sometimes a bit frustrated but that´s the idea. The games are supposed to challenge you :-)

- Not if they are in the room. Online, I can lose my temper but not violence. Just some bad language if I´m alone. If my wife is at home, I keep my language a bit cleaner :-)

- Only in the way that it´s another topic to talk about. It´s positive.

If so how?

- As stated above

- Me personally, NO. I wouldnt play if it did to be honest.

Hope that helped :-)

Source(s): NA
  • xK

How old are you?

-- early 30s

How long have you played video games?

-- since I was 18 months old, lol

-- primarily PC, but I also have a Wii and Xbox 360

-- it varies but on average, 1-2

-- again, it varies, but probably the majority of them, if not all, in some fashion

-- yes (Xbox Live or PC)

-- everything; favorites are probably RPG, FPS, strategy, simulation, casual/arcade

-- tons, lol; I have a full time job, a husband, a toddler, and two dogs!

-- yes; World of Warcraft, The Sims 3, Tropico 4

Do you play mature rated video games?

-- yes; Grand Theft Auto series, L.A. Noire, Left 4 Dead 2, Red Dead Redemption, Borderlands

-- less stress lol

-- quite the opposite (unless someone is being a jerk)

If so how?

-- sure! I have a lot more friends, and I'm more social and outgoing.

-- no, but I think they can desensitize you to violence a little

• Timbo

How old are you? 33

How long have you played video games? Since about 10 or less

What gaming consoles do you play? (Xbox, Xbox 360, Playstation 1-3, Wii, Wii U, Computer, ect.) Currently own Sega Master system, Xbox 360, PS3, Computer, Nintendo DS, Asus Tablet, and smart phone (do play a few games on it but not much). In the past I have had all the Nintendos except for current U system, PS 1, 2, Xbox, Gameboy, Gameboy color, and PSP.

How many hours a day do you dedicate to playing video games? Weeks days about maybe 2 or so, weekends could be about 5 or so. Depends on what the plan is for the weekend.

How many days of the week do you play video games? about 7 days

Do you play online? (Xbox Live, Playstation Network, ect.) Computer, such as Call of Duty servers or MMO servers.

First Person Shooter, RPG, MMO mostly. But play a little bit of everything.

Do you have any other extracurricular activities? (sports, art, clubs, reading, ect.) Between work and College. I do not do much outside of those. When it starts to warm up will start riding bikes with wife in the evenings.

I have played all types of rated games. I do not recall which were rated teen.

Do you play mature rated video games? Yes

all the Call of Duties, Dead Space series, Fear series, The Witcher series. I have played a lot of games rated mature.

Have you, or any of your family/friends noticed a change in personality when you play video games? (depression, anger, nihilistic, happy, ect) Not really for the most part. I might get annoyed if i am having problems in part of a game, such as keep getting killed by a boss of the game or something, but nothing that i would call anger or violent. I quit playing that game, and go to another or do something else and come back to it and normally get past that part without any trouble.

When you play video games with others, do you find yourself behaving aggressively? No. But to get annoyed when people are cheating on multiplayer Black OPs 2 maps

Do you think video games effect your social life? No

If so how? I normally mess with games when I do not have much going on. If a group of friends want to go hang out then I will go do that. I will play a game for a short time in the evening on week days such as in an hour or 2, and then spend the rest of the night watching tv with my wife.

Do you think video games make you violent? No. I have been playing games for long time and it has not made me violent. I enjoy playing games. I find it annoying when people blame video games for violence when someone does something. I know some people say those people are more weak minded, but that should still not put the blame on video games.

• Sarah

How old are you?

16

How long have you played video games?

7 years

X-Box 360, Nintendo DS, Gameboy advanced (strictly for old pokemon games), PC, I also used to own a PS2

Usually <2 but occasionally up to 4

Whenever I get free time, so I suppose 4-7

X-Box live, Online PC games

FPS, Puzzle, RPG, Strategy

Art, Netball

Halo (all games but #2), Battlefield 3, Star wars: the old republic, The Elder scrolls 4&5 (Oblivion and Skyrim), Half life (all half life games), Portal (both games), Castlevania

Do you play mature rated video games?

Some series of games are teen rated except for a couple of games in their series, they are listed here: Mass effect (all 3 games, my favorite is ME2), Dishonored, Assassins creed, Borderlands 2

Not that I can say, I know that is a level is frustratingly hard I will get a little angry and on occasion shout

No

If so how?

Yes, without these games I wouldn't have the friends I have today, I wouldn't have gone to huge social events or become interested in art (found out I had a talent for it), they have affected my life positively.

However I will admit that it became one of my main interests and as a result I bring up games in conversation, as a girl there are few other girls I can talk with that know anything about games, even then it's just phones games and I find it difficult to keep a conversation going.

No, not me personally - I could shout a little when I get frustrated (though that does not usually happen) but in my general life I haven't changed a bit. If anything video games are an outlet for me and have made me calmer.

If you like you could have a look at this informal video, it has some solid evidence for video games not neccesarily causing violence and why, it also has all the sources used in the description.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uwAo8lcAC4

Youtube thumbnail

^-^ Hope this helps! ^-^

How old are you?

18

How long have you played video games?

10 Years

Xbox 360, Ps2 & 3, Wii, Wii U, Pc

4-8 hours

6 Days

Yes. Live, Psn, Steam

Any genre is good for me

Art club, Soccer (football), Basketball

Yes

Tales of Graces(Ps3)

Do you play mature rated video games?

Yes

The Walking Dead

Assassin's Creed (Series)

Bioshock 1,2, Infinite

A couple, but only when they are losing. (Mario Party is a prime example)

Only when I am losing, otherwise no I do not.

Yes

If so how?

Time is taken away to play, but I can find out other people who play a game I have played and we can relate with each other based on that game.

No, definitely not.

How old are you? – 23

How long have you played video games? 1994

What gaming consoles do you play? (Xbox, Xbox 360, Playstation 1-3, Wii, Wii U, Computer, ect.) - PC (I failed to see how this one matters)

How many hours a day do you dedicate to playing video games? – 6-8 hours per weekday, 15-17 hour on each weekend day or holiday.

How many days of the week do you play video games? – Every day

Do you play online? (Xbox Live, Playstation Network, ect.) – Yes, but not every game is multiplayer.

What genre video games do you play? (Fighting, First Person Shooter, Racing, Strategy, ect.) – All types with the exceptions of Sports, Racing, and Fighters (though I have played them in the past, they don’t interest me anymore).

Do you have any other extracurricular activities? (sports, art, clubs, reading, ect.) – No.

Do you play teen rated games? If so could you please list a few examples? – E, T, M, AO, I don’t need nor care to look at the ESRB rating. I play what looks interesting. Can’t really give accurate examples with the exception of AO games like Manhunt 2, The Punisher, Lula, and Leisure Suit Larry.

Do you play mature rated video games? – See above.

Have you, or any of your family/friends noticed a change in personality when you play video games? (depression, anger, nihilistic, happy, ect) - I’ve noticed I’m more happy when playing video games compared to real life.

When you play video games with others, do you find yourself behaving aggressively? – Of course, I have a very aggressive personality I developed secretly as a child as a direct result of my alleged father.

Do you think video games effect your social life? – Video games Are my social life.

If so how?

Do you think video games make you violent? – Video games? No. That would most likely lay fault to my father who neglected me as a child, and physically and sexually assaulted me during my pre-teen through late teen years.

Luckily I was convinced to enlist in the military which began the greatest turning of my life in terms of where I will end up. However video games will continue to remain a constant for me.

How old are you? - 18

How long have you played video games? - Real gaming.. 2 or 3 years.. simple/mmos 10 years.

What gaming consoles do you play? - PC, Ps3, Ps2

How many hours a day do you dedicated to playing video games? - 5 or 6

How many days of the week do you play video games? - 7

Do you play online? - Yes

What genre video games do you play? - FPS, Shooter, Side Scroller, Real Time RPGs, Strategy, Puzzle Platformers, Puzzle

Do you have any extracurricular activities? - No

Do you play teen rated games? - No

Do you play M rated? - Yes - Dark Souls, God of War saga, Farcry 3, Fallout 3 and NV.

Have you, or any of your family/friends noticed a change in personality when you play video games? - No

When you play video games with others, do you find yourself behaving aggressively? - sometimes, depending on mood when I started.

Do you think video games effect your social life? - Yes - It enhanced it greatly.

Do you think video games make you violent? - No, thats a stupid idea.. games aren't the issue it's human nature that makes people violent.. we're just animals.. nobody blames video games for a lion killing an elk. People want excuses to feel a superiority over other animals.. but it's false.

How old are you?

18

How long have you played video games?

10 years

XBOX 360

8

7

OF COURSE

FPS, FIGHTING

AINT NOBODY GOT TIME FO' THAT

ONLY M RATED

Do you play mature rated video games?

YES

COD: MW, WaW, MW2, BO, MW3, BO2

BONETOWN

RIIIDGE RAAAACEEEER

I'm VERY ANGRY

OF COURSE, *****

WHAT SOCIAL LIFE?

If so how?

BY KILLING IT

ASK MY DEAD DOG, AFTER HE TRIPPED OVER AND UNPLUGGED MY XBOX POWER CABLE