Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleSkin & BodyTattoos · 8 years ago

Tattoos on hands? Good or bad idea?

I was talking with my parents, and the topic of tattoos came up. My parents said they were okay with me getting tats when I get older, as long as they're not rude or obnoxious. I asked them about tattoos on my hands likes this: http://icons-lover.tumblr.com/post/46300928868 (mostly like the top left one)

They said that when I tried to get a job later in life, it would ruin my chances of getting a job because I wouldn't look professional, and it's difficult to hide your hands, especially for me since I talk with my hands.

I'm only 14, so I'll have to wait a little. My parents said they wouldn't allow me to do it until I was 18, and had to be responsible for my own decisions.

What do you think. A terrible, okay, or good idea?

I really like the look, but I don't want to look like a pothead when I try to accomplish something through an interview (college, job, etc.)

~ Thank you

Favorite Answer

Only you can determine if it's what you want to do or not.

In reality, it's not a good idea because of the job factor. Most places won't hire people with hand tattoos. But if you're willing: DermaBlend Pro ; it covers up tattoos like magic.

But you're still young! You could change your mind by then. If you do get them done, just make sure you're prepared for the looks, questions, and rejections.

I'm hoping (this is me) in the next 5-10 years company's start being more lenient with the tattoo thing. Society has gotten so much better, so I'm hoping work will too.

Good luck.

Ps. You won't look like a pot head .

I know a guy who has "Drug free" across his knuckles.

• nicole

Pothead Tattoos

Why do you think it looks like a pothead? I am a straight edge college girl with hand tattoos. I chose a career in which my piercings and tattoos would not effect my getting a job. You really need to have a good idea of what you want to be and if it will get in the way of achieving your goals. People will judge you! I get judged everytime I step out into the public eye, people stare.

Source(s): Tattoo artist/ college student- 13 tattoos(mostly all big, sleeves, leg sleeves, hand tats, stomach/ribs, inner lip, feet/ankle)

I wouldn't get it in your hand. You never know what career you'll have and most careers don't like people with visible tattoos. Plus I heard hand tattoos fade after a couple years. Your forearm would be better.

i really love the look of hand tattoos personally and would love to have them, but the sad truth is that it WILL impact your ability to get a job in the future. if you're planning to be a tattooist or a musician, or some other field where that wouldn't be frowned upon, i'd say go for it. otherwise, though...i'd wait to get it until you're as stable as you can be in a career that would allow you to have tattoos like those. anytime before then could really inhibit your chances of earning money should things go wrong.

there's no harm in waiting, anyway. i mean, if you don't want it 10 years from now, you sure as hell don't want to get it now. you know?

It really depends.

Unfortunately, if you get visible tattoos you will be discriminated against, be it in general or while looking for a job.

I'm 18 and have a large tattoo on my forearm and I already get strange looks from it.

I plan to get my hands and other visible areas tattooed in the future, but that is because I will be going into computer programming and game design and those career paths are generally very accepting of tattoos.

So basically, just be careful. Think about what career you wish to pursue and how visible tattoos may affect that and also be prepared for the public backlash of being tattooed. It sucks, but if you're passionate about body art and are capable of making your own decisions I'm sure you'll be fine.

Best of luck to you!~

Most well paid jobs will not let you have a tattoo shown ! So if you want a good job then you might want to think twice!

• Em

I probably wouldn't do it, but I don't really have a problem with them on other people.

It's really your decision, and like you said you have a long time to think about it.

Bad idea, get one thad not noticeable. Could lead getting a job later hard.

• Sarah

I wouldn't get one on hand they start to fade after time with all you do throught day washing up ect.

Get it somewere else