How can I get rid of this cough?

I've had asthma since I was about 7 (16 now) just to give some background. It hasn't really acted up in about 5 though. I came down with a cold on Thursday. It pretty much went away yesterday except this cough. I cough so much I can barely breath. Everything from my head to my thighs hurt from coughing. I've tried honey, warm shower, Vicks, heating pad, alka seltzer plus cold and flu, robitussin and tessalon perles. Nothing is working. I think my mom is going to take me to the doctor tomorrow but what can I do tonight? Oh, I've also used my inhaler in case it was my asthma.

I'm also up to date on my tdap vaccine.

It's dry, nonproductive and I've noticed that my breathing is a little more shallow than usual. My inhaler is proair hfa. I've used it as directed and it's up to date as I had a cold at the end of December and needed a new one. I already sleep with two pillows but I'm debating sleeping with more so I don't cough so much.

Favorite Answer

" I think my mom is going to take me to the doctor tomorrow but what can I do tonight?" -- Any respiratory infection can exacerbate asthma. Yeah, you need to see your doctor tomorrow. You could use a rescue inhaler for times like this. Is your cough dry and nonproductive or are you wheezing and short of breath? I'm afraid there's not much I can do for you and nothing in your home that will make much of a difference. This calls for prescription medication. Is your inhaler albuterol (ProAir HFA or Ventolin HFA or Proventil HFA)? Don't use this more often than directed, probably every 6 hours as needed.

Sleep with two pillows tonight. It will help your lungs ventilate more effectively. Your doctor may prescribe a cough suppressant that uses a small amount of codeine as the suppressant. Codeine can make you feel dizzy, lightheaded or sleepy so stay home the first day and see how it affects you.

I have asthma too and I feel for you, pal.

Source(s): I'm a nurse.