Should a real estate & property management firm name & logo be TM (Trademark) or SM (Servicemark)?

When registering.

1 Answer

  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    Most tm and sm are not registered anywhere, as it is completely optional in the US, Canada, UK and several other countries.

    You can optionally register in one or more states or in the USPTO.

    Trademarks are for "goods" in commerce; Service marks are for "services" in commerce.

    Depending upon what collection of "management" you mean, it would be registered in one or more classes according to the regulatory definitions.

    Under the international classification guidelines (used in the USA and most states), "real estate property management" would most likely fall into class 036

    CLASS 36: Insurance; financial affairs; monetary affairs; real estate affairs.

    For example:

    Real estate service, namely, rental property management

    Real estate management of vacation homes

    Real estate rental services, namely, rental of residential housing

    Real estate service, namely, rental property management

    Real estate services, namely, rental, brokerage, leasing and management of commercial property, offices and office space

    CLASS 35: Advertising; business management; business administration; office functions.

    On the other hand, class 035 would include

    Real estate sales management

    CLASS 37: Building construction; repair; installation services.

    Class 037 would include

    Real estate development

    Real estate property cleaning, repair and maintenance services

    CLASS 45:Legal services; security services for the protection of property and individuals; personal and social services rendered by others to meet the needs of individuals.

    and Class 045 would include

    Real estate closing services

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.