Which Law School to Attend?

41K per year to Brooklyn Law School OR 10K 1st year only, and May start at Cardozo Law School?

$41k scholarship renewed each year (for tuition) versus a $10k (scholarship) for the first year only

Favorite Answer

Are those scholarship amounts or your tuition? I'm going to assume tuition. (If a scholarship, do your research. Many schools give out conditional scholarships with unreasonable GPA stipulations causing as many as 1/2 of the recipients to lose their scholarships.)

Honestly, New York is a rough legal market. There's tons of schools competing for the top jobs. I sure hope you aren't thinking that going to one of those schools is a safe bet for landing a high paying legal job. Google "law school transparency" and take a look at the employment stats. Only about 10% of each school is going to land a larger firm, and I'm willing to bet those people landed in the top 20% of their class. It's going to be rough paying back loans without a high paying job, assuming you aren't paying out of pocket. Alright, enough of the warning.

Personally, I would choose Cardozo. It has slightly better employment numbers, and the tuition break, even if only for the first year, is nice. Plus, it gives you the opportunity to try out law and see if you like it. If you don't like law, or end up in the bottom of your class, you can drop-out without a huge debt burden.

EDIT:

Ah, for scholarships, I would go for the cheaper one (in this case Brooklyn). The employment stats are similar for both, so why pay more money if you don't have to? BUT, do be sure to check the scholarship stipulations, as I mentioned, b/c they often give out more scholarships than can be kept. For example, if the scholarship can only be renewed if you stay in the top 1/3 of your class, but they give half of the incoming class scholarships, some people will lose their scholarships automatically b/c there are more scholarships given than can be kept. So check out what those stipulations mean for your school. At some, a 3.0 is the top 1/3 of the class, at others median or less. So do your research.

Either way, since the Cardozo law school's scholarship is only 10k the first year, you're going to be paying less money at Brooklyn, even if you lose the scholarship for your 2nd and 3rd year. And, if you can keep it, all the better.