Is an Intel® Core™2 Duo T9600 2.8GHz processor good for gaming?

I just recently purchased an Alienware M17X laptop which has an Intel Core 2 Duo T9600 2.8GHz processor installed & was wondering if it's a good enough CPU for gaming. I know it's not as good as an Intel i7. So far, I've played older games on it (like Sid Meier's Pirates & Simcity 4) which handle nicely, but I'm worried about the newer games. With the specs (listed below), is the system good enough for modern day gaming? Also, does the system have plenty of RAM at 8GB?

OPERATING SYSTEM Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit Service Pack 1

VIDEO CARD Dual NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 280M, 2GB – SLI® Enabled

LCD PANEL 17-inch WideUXGA 1920x1200 (1200p)

MEMORY 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz

HARD DRIVE 320GB - 2x 160GB 7,200RPM - RAID 0

INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE Slot-Load Dual Layer Blu-ray Combo (BR-ROM, DVD+-RW, CD-RW)

Favorite Answer

That hardware should be fine for modern games. A friend of mine has a system with the same video card and amount of RAM but an i5 CPU instead of a Core 2. This system can play Crysis 2 with the eye candy on at a very playable frame rate.

The Core 2 is older than the i-series CPU's but the T9600 was one of the better mobile CPU's made in that line. With a little bit of tinkering I'm quite sure you can play just about anything you wanted to on that system. Having 2 GPU's instead of the 1 that I've seen in action will definitely help.

Intel Core 2 Duo T9600

Core 2 Duo T9600

Jeremy Dale and David Hopkins asked the same question. You should read the answers side by side.