Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAfrica & Middle EastSouth Africa · 7 years ago

Do english south africans play rugby?

Coz the white guys that play rugby all look afrikaans to me. Even the surnames are afrikaans.. Can someone mention at least 5 english players?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Just because someone has an afrikaans sounding name, does not mean he is afrikaans. Same goes for english surnames, they could be afrikaans. South Africans are very bilingual in English and Afrikaans, many have one Afrikaans-speaking and one English-speaking parent.

English, Irish, Australian, New Zealand and South Africa . . . all are or were part of the British commonwealth . . . and all have good strong rugby teams.

There are names like Brits, Strauss, Cilliers, Kruger, Botha, Steyn, de Villiers, du Plessis, Goosen, Olivier . . . all could be English speaking . . . one cannot judge by the surname at all. Same as one cannot assume that Smith or Laker anre Afrikaans speaking people.

Same as you cannot judge a person's language by his surname, you also cannot judge him by his looks.

Guys like Percy Montgomery, Patrick Lambie, Patric Cilliers, Marcell Coetzee, Francois Louw, Craig Burden, Ryan Kankowski are most likely English speaking.

But who cares ?

Their mission is to play excellent rugby and not take part in the National Language Challenge.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Phil
    Lv 5
    7 years ago

Rugby is very popular amongst English South Africans and Afrikaners, but I think it is a bit more of a religion for some Afrikaners.

Remember that surnames don't always indicate the background of people. Many Enlgish people have "Afrikaans" names and vice versa.

As for "looking Afrikaans", I'm not sure what that means. Big, oafish and dumb, perhaps? That describes most Rugby players, hehe. There really isn't a way to tell the difference between Afrikaners and English South Africans.

Many of the greatest SA rugby players are English.

Source(s): South African...
  • 7 years ago

Only a few English South Africans play rugby. Most who play it are Afrikaans speakers.

• 7 years ago

John Smit

Patrick Lambie

Keegan Daniel

Ryan Kankowski

Tim Whitehead

Peter Grant

Butch James

Brent Russel

Luke Watson

BJ Botha

Joe Van Niekerk

Kyle Cooper

Etc Etc

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

1) How do afrikaans guys look like?

2) Do you suggest rugby ability depends on afrikaans?

• 7 years ago

My surname confuses the crap out folks. It gives no racial indication what so ever.

• 7 years ago

No.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.