Does Music Genre Make a Difference?

I am a 19 year old guy and I'm picking up my new GF and we will take a road trip in my new car and tour California. Well I am not afraid about anything except, yes, the music that will be playing in the car. I haven't known her long enough to know her favorite type of music yet.

I myself HATE most, if not, all modern music because it is repetitive and the lyrics have no meaning (no offence, it's just my opinion). I LOVE 70's, 80's and a little bit of 90's. Here is an example of the music I like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBQVrCflZ_E

Youtube thumbnail

I have my ipod full of these songs. If she likes modern pop music and I play this, will she think I'm weird or old? If your newly met BF liked a different genre of music, would it change your view on him?

This may sound stupid, but I am serious.

• Jude
    Best Answer

Honestly, Music does make a difference. It's kind of a starting point to seeing what kind of things you have in common.

I would let her take control of the radio first. You never know, she could surprise you. She might like the same music as you. If you don't, you'll have to pull through it for a while. Maybe it'll be nice to see her sing along to the music and dancing around and such. It'll be easier to warm up to the horrible music you hate. Then turn on your music and just switch off. Don't be offensive and be like "Ugh. I hate that song." It'll make her feel sad and that's not what you want to do.

if my girlfriend was only into old music I would think it was kind of weird. Maybe just keeping it off and if she wants to turn on the radio, she can on her own and then you can just try your best to ignore it or something for her sake

You know you can always ask her lol

• VTer

don't worry about it.