Rob asked in Cars & TransportationAircraft · 8 years ago

If I make three night instrument approaches with full stop landings, this will satisfy night vfr reqs also?

Just trying to figure out an economical schedule for staying ifr current and maintaining night vfr passenger currency. Getting my private cert soon, and I'm wondering whether an instrument rating is financially feasible. I will be flying strictly for pleasure. Thanks for your responses.

I should add, I am aware I would still need three more instrument approaches, day or night, and HIT.

• Favorite Answer

If we are considering the regs in the US..Rock, you have some more studying to do. Read § 61.57 again. and Tina, sorry dear, you are just flat wrong.

To answer "If I make three night instrument approaches with full stop landings, this will satisfy night vfr reqs also?" The reg is simply for carrying passengers day or night.. so Yes !see § 61.57. (b) (1) THe reg makes no distinction as to approach{s}

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&SID=87...

Added: my point is that it does not have to be VFR conditions, (if the pilot is Instrument rated and current), VFR VS IFR is a moot point as far as making the required landings with in a 90 day period to carry passengers.

If you do practice approaches and land under VFR conditions then yeah, it will count. Best way to do it is to go up with a spotter pilot or instructor, use foggles or a hood to do simulated approaches, and land in VFR conditions.

Edit@Cherokee, that's exactly what I said. The regs say nothing about it. You're simply practicing IFR approaches in VFR conditions in order to save money and stay current on both. You'd need a little more to comply with 66-HIT but the asker already stated that they knew that.

Source(s): Commercial rated, working on CFI

You can't double-dip: the approach (and the associated air time) is IFR or night VFR. It can't be both.