Toyota Tacomas-problems with frame rusting.?

I am thinking of getting a Toyota Tacoma for my next vehicle and I just read on Facebook that owners have had problems with the frame rusting clear through especially on early 2000s models. For anyone that has owned a Toyota Tacoma has anyone experinced this? Does the bigger Toyota Tundra have this problem also? I might go with a Tundra but gas mileage might not be as good. What other problems are Tacomas known for?

I was thinking of getting a 2011-2013 model Tacoma,the access cab,Will they have a problem with their

frame rusting. The 4 Runner is built on the same frame isn't and no problems with their frame rusting.

• Eric P
    Favorite Answer

Yes, there were frame rust issues on both the Tacoma and Tundra.

The 1995-2000 Tacomas had a recall/buy-back program for rust on the rear portions of the frame and the 2001-2004 years were recalled for rust on the rear frame cross member where the spare tire support winch is located.

The Tundras also had a frame rust recall for 2000-2003 models.

It wouldn't keep me from buying used. Just be extra attentive to the issue. Inspect carefully and find out if the specific vehicle is included in the recall or if recall work as been done.

The Tacomas and Tundras have otherwise been very reliable. The Tacoma has not had the trouble with front lower ball joints that have plagued the 3rd generation of 4runner. Some small problems can spring up with age/mileage, such as leaky steering racks, but they continue to be some of the most trouble-free trucks on the market.

• dewald

Toyota Tacoma Frame Recall

1

Source(s): Vehicle History Report http://sparkindl.info/InstantVehicleHistoryReports

--From experience, early 2000 tundras are the ones that had this problem. There's a recall for the frame rusting on them so if there is rust, it gets replaced free of charge. I must add, the recall was made due to customers living in wet/snow areas where salt is added to roads, Therefore causing rust. Don't get me wrong, anyone that has an early 2000 tundra is eligible for the recall if it hasn't been completed.

--In my opinion, if you live in a snow area you can get rust on any truck/car.

--I have not seen major rust problems on tacomas.

--You can still get an early 2000 tundra with the same engine as a tacoma, but not the other way around.

Source(s): Toyota tech
  • kosier

Toyota Tundra Frame Recall

• Julie

That is all pretty much standard procedure. Keep in mind that your 11 year old truck probably will not be covered under the recall. Really the only legal way to repair a rusted out frame is to replace it. Doing so totals out the vehicle and would cause the truck to have a salvage title. If the frame is replaced, then the VIN number must be changed and that is why it would have a salvage title. Your going to be a lot better off just selling the truck and getting another one.

Tacomas had a huge problem with frame rust, some were even dropping their spare tires on the road because the cable holding it on rusted through. You can still buy one just have a good look underneath before you do. For other problems just google tacoma recalls and TSBs (Technical service bulletins)

Source(s): Im a car freak

The problem is that they rust from the inside out. So what may look good on the outside,but rotting inside. One guy tested his good looking frame by hitting along the frame with a hammer when one hit went all the way through. Bad frames- end of story. I will never buy another.

2

Source(s): Whois VIN Number Lookup http://VinNumberLookup.gelaf.info/?GoNy