Where did the "watermelon and chicken" stereotype come from?

For the longest time, racists have joked about how black people enjoy watermelon and chicken. This is as ridiculous as saying that black people like anything that is pleasurable. As a white guy, I love both watermelon and chicken. They're both delicious. I want to understand, but I think that the key is to... show more For the longest time, racists have joked about how black people enjoy watermelon and chicken. This is as ridiculous as saying that black people like anything that is pleasurable. As a white guy, I love both watermelon and chicken. They're both delicious.

I want to understand, but I think that the key is to understand the history of this ridiculous stereotype. Someone please explain it to me.
Update: So I see from the first comment that I wasn't clear enough.

White people also enjoy watermelon and chicken, so why is considered something that only black people like?