I can't access YouTube and a few other sites?

Everytime I try accessing YouTube or other popular sites. I get a warning that I need to do a survey to unlock those sites. I know its a scam. Help!

It looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/9wX1l9o.png

• ?
    Favorite Answer

Hello!

I had the same problem too. I can't access popular sites such as Google, YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, Hotmail and etc. I get a message saying, "Attention Required", then it says to unlock the site by completing a survey. All online surveys are fake and scams. When I'm on the page that says Attention Required, I right-click on the page and Inspect Element and seen a link to FileIce, and FileIce is website to download files by completing a scam survey that requires personal information.

This is classified as a computer trojan.

A detection of Win32/PossibleHostsFileHijack is an indicator that your HOSTS file may have been modified by malicious or potentially unwanted software. Modifications to the HOSTS file can cause access to certain Internet domains to be redirected or denied. This may prevent the computer from connecting to certain websites.

To recover manually from Win32/PossibleHostsFileHijack, you can manually recreate a clean HOSTS file, or you can restore a version of the HOSTS file from a backup you made before the file was modified without your consent.

The symptoms are: Situations such as the following may be signs that your HOSTS file has been modified without your consent:

- You are unable to access a certain website that you believe is in operation, such as a site that provides programs to help keep your computer secure.

- Your browser connects to a website that does not appear to be appropriate, given the address you entered.

Here is how to fix it:

1. Clear all browsers history, cookies, cache and data from the beginning of time

2. Make sure you have no adware, freeware or a suspicious browser extension & add-on that you did not install

3. Run a full-computer security scan using your Anti-Virus or Internet Security software. I recommend AVG, Avira, Avast, Adaware, Malwarebytes, Microsoft Security Essentials and McAfee, clear all viruses

4. Go do a Disk Defragment. To do this go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragment

5. Now I've learned that the Attention Required message is a Windows Host File hijacking. Check your Hosts file in System32 (C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\etc\hosts) open with Notepad with UAC (User Access Control) and see if it has a list of popular sites, if so you have the virus problem.

** Use Microsoft's FixIt program at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972034 this program will restore your Hosts file to default and remove the Attention Require message.

Next time make sure you:

- Don't download pirated software

- Use trusted websites

- Don't use websites that requires you to do a survey to unlock something

- Check your Hosts file weekly for safety reasons

You have malware on your computer. Download "Spybot Search and Destroy" and run it. It will clean up this malware and let you browse normally.

http://download.cnet.com/Spybot-Search-Destroy/300...