Is this a craigslist scam?

i was selling my iphone for $170 on craigslist and i got a offer from someone who said he would like to buy it for $220 with a personal. check. He said the reason he was paying 220 was because he didnt want to drive all the way down about a one hour ride. He sent the check today and i will be receiving the check in... show more i was selling my iphone for $170 on craigslist and i got a offer from someone who said he would like to buy it for $220 with a personal. check. He said the reason he was paying 220 was because he didnt want to drive all the way down about a one hour ride. He sent the check today and i will be receiving the check in mail by tomorrow. He told me to mail the iphone to him when the check clears. What does that mean for check to clear? and is this a scam?
Update: How do you know when the check clears? Also can i cash the check as soon as the check clears?