Mortgage Loan with Good Credit and Very Low Income?

My mom has been trying to get a mortgage so that she can purchase a home. She has been living in public housing for the last 20 years and I feel it is time for her to change. My brother will still be living with her, he is a 19 year old college student who isn't working. My mom's problem? She doesn't... show more My mom has been trying to get a mortgage so that she can purchase a home. She has been living in public housing for the last 20 years and I feel it is time for her to change. My brother will still be living with her, he is a 19 year old college student who isn't working. My mom's problem? She doesn't make enough money to qualify for any type of loan. With the USDA, she was told that she had a high debt to income ratio. We took care of that and she still doesn't qualify because her income is so low, even though they advertise loans for very low income households. We tried a program though the Illinois Treasurers office called Finally Home. It is for low income families and people with high debt to income ratios. But apparently, she doesn't qualify for that either. She has money to put as a down payment. Her only debt is a credit card consolidation loan and her car payment. We can either pay off both of those or put a large down payment on a house or do a combination of both (paying off the car and making a substantial down payment). Anyone have any ideas what she could do? I would co-sign for her, but when I want to purchase a home of my own, I won't be able to with having co-signed for her. I don't know what to do!
5 answers 5