Writers: Do you avoid writing difficult scenes?

I'll explain what I mean. I beta read someone's manuscript, and I'm began to notice that she seemed to be avoiding writing difficult scenes. Her character is being chased by a monster and she faints. End of chapter. Beginning of next chapter, she wakes up in a nice bed, in a nice house with no monster... show more I'll explain what I mean. I beta read someone's manuscript, and I'm began to notice that she seemed to be avoiding writing difficult scenes. Her character is being chased by a monster and she faints. End of chapter. Beginning of next chapter, she wakes up in a nice bed, in a nice house with no monster around and is safe and sound - apparently some random dude she met on the street protected her and took her back to his place (he also happens to be the hero). Okay, I gave her feedback that having a character faint to get out of a scene is not only cliche but is also taking the easy way out so that you don't have to do the difficult writing of having the character actually get away from the monster.

I read two more chapters. I noticed again that she seemed to be avoiding writing the difficult scene. One chapter ends well. The next chapter ends on a note that if I were lukewarm about her book that I probably wouldn't keep reading because nothing happens to the character. All the action is happening in a scene where other minor characters go to perform an exorcism, but the main character has to wait until it's over, which she did. I was like, huh??? It's quite easy to have the character stay away from the main action, but if you want to keep readers interested then she needs to be involved in something and being active and not always being saved by the hero or have stuff just happen to her. BTW, the 'hero' didn't have a POV, so we didn't get to see things from his perspective which might have been more interesting since he was being the most active and doing the most work. I though her MC was too passive.

So, my question for you: Do you avoid writing difficult scenes? If so, is there a reason why you're avoiding it.

BQ: What's the most difficult scene you've ever had to write for one of your stories or novels? "Difficult" for whatever reason (emotionally hard, uninspired, felt you lacked the writing skill to make it great, couldn't put the right words to it, etc. whatever you deem "difficult" for you in trying to writing it)
Update: I used to avoid difficult scenes when I first started writing and then I realized that my characters were always avoiding a lot of the action; it would happen off-screen or a minor character would take care of the difficult situation so that my MC was never in trouble. 1nce I realized that, i started putting my MC... show more I used to avoid difficult scenes when I first started writing and then I realized that my characters were always avoiding a lot of the action; it would happen off-screen or a minor character would take care of the difficult situation so that my MC was never in trouble. 1nce I realized that, i started putting my MC in the middle of all the action. It used to be hard for me because I didn't know how to write that scene where my characterwass facing down the baddy...and the hardest part was finding a way to get my character out of the increasingly bad situation. It's still hard, but I tackle it and not run away from it like i did in the past.
Update 2: I LOVE fight scenes. The Bourne Identity taught me everything I need to know about them. :D
Update 3: Ha! None of my beloved characters will ever die. I decided that last year. I don't mind killing off all the evil characters, though, yeah, that's the easy part. But none of my side characters who are MC friendly will die. I just won't do it!
Update 4: @Phillip - you too! This and Skyrim is why I'm not writing and when I'm off this my next bit of free time will be playing skyrim...not writing. :D