3 year old takes his teddy bear everywhere?

My 3 1/2 year old is attached to 3 different toys 2 small dinosaurs and on large stuffed one. He takes them everywhere, it used to just be the 2 dinos but now he has added the large one. My GF doesn't see a problem with it even though his day care has said No toys multiple times she lets him take them anyway. I can't go 10 minutes around him without him asking about them. When he wakes up he has to have them, in the bathroom, going to sleep. It is kinda driving me crazy. 2 weeks ago he forgot them at daycare and would not stop crying i said sorry we aren't going back, cause its a 30 minute drive, he asked every 5 minutes for them until he went to sleep and again in the morning the same thing. At night is the worst if he passes out on the couch and doesn't have them in bed with him when he wakes up in the middle of the night he will wail until she goes and gets them, or even if he rolled over and they got lost under his blanket, I stopped cause i am over it. When I try to talk to her about weening him off of them, she gets upset and says from things she has read it can hurt his development because they are his sense of security. Also, she loves to see him happy and hated taking away his bottle, blanket and pacifier during those stages and waited forever to do it. I don't know i just feel like a bad Dad i don't really know what the right answer is so im out here searching the internet.

Basically I am asking am I just mean for wanting to take them away? How can I convince her it is the right thing to do if it is?

• Kate
    Favorite Answer

It is very normal for young children to have these strong attachments to comfort objects. It's even recommended for children with separation anxiety to have one of these security objects to help ease their anxiety when they are away from mom or dad.

I have 3 children. Two of them did not have a special object, one did. She was like your son in the fact that she was really attached. But it did help her cope. If she was in a tough situation but had her bear, then she could handle life much better.

You can try weaning him off by simply not reminding him of them or not encouraging him to get them. Help him go longer without them. For example, take him outside to play, but tell him he's got to leave the toys inside so they don't get lost or dirty. Play out there as long as you can with him. Over time, he'll see that he can handle life and enjoy it without always having his comfort objects.

Just make sure to not take them from him or lose them on purpose or anything like that, because that can cause him to doubt if he can trust you and make him have a hard time coping.

Source(s): toddler separation anxiety:http://www.toddler-tips-and-tricks.com/toddler-sep...
  • K

Those toys are his comfort items.

The kids I watch have comfort items as well. They are 2 & 4.

I let them bring the toys in the car but are not aloud to take them in wherever we go. If they want to bring them in I say, your animals are tired and they need to rest and stay in the car or they need to stay in the car and protect your car seat. Sounds silly, but it works. They don't alway ask to bring them and most of the time keep them at home.

I see where your coming from. Find a fun way of telling him why the animals can't go to daycare. Maybe tell him there not old enough for daycare and need to stay home and tell him you and mommy will protect them and you will have them in the car for you when daycare is over.

Hope this helps.

Every child goes through this with something. My son is 5 and just last year ditched his blanket. He use to take it everywhere with him but grew out of it. She needs to stop giving in when you go places. Let it be ok at home but not in public. If he needs them for daycare, say that he has to leave them in the car to protect mommy or something. Make something up.

teddy bears can be like friends so this is normal for kids

• A

He won't have them when he's an adult you know, let him have them. Make a game out of not taking them to daycare as that is hassle. Tell him they have to go to their own school or something. He sounds like a great kid, let him be a kid a bit longer.

• ET

It's NORMAL for young children to form such attachments to toys, stuffed animals or blankets. They will outgrow these attachments. Take no action... Let them have their attachments.

Source(s): Father of Six, Grandfather or 4...and counting.

If you don't want him to have them, throw them away. He's 3. Its not like he can beat you up for it.