3 year old takes his teddy bear everywhere?

My 3 1/2 year old is attached to 3 different toys 2 small dinosaurs and on large stuffed one. He takes them everywhere, it used to just be the 2 dinos but now he has added the large one. My GF doesn't see a problem with it even though his day care has said No toys multiple times she lets him take them anyway. I... show more My 3 1/2 year old is attached to 3 different toys 2 small dinosaurs and on large stuffed one. He takes them everywhere, it used to just be the 2 dinos but now he has added the large one. My GF doesn't see a problem with it even though his day care has said No toys multiple times she lets him take them anyway. I can't go 10 minutes around him without him asking about them. When he wakes up he has to have them, in the bathroom, going to sleep. It is kinda driving me crazy. 2 weeks ago he forgot them at daycare and would not stop crying i said sorry we aren't going back, cause its a 30 minute drive, he asked every 5 minutes for them until he went to sleep and again in the morning the same thing. At night is the worst if he passes out on the couch and doesn't have them in bed with him when he wakes up in the middle of the night he will wail until she goes and gets them, or even if he rolled over and they got lost under his blanket, I stopped cause i am over it. When I try to talk to her about weening him off of them, she gets upset and says from things she has read it can hurt his development because they are his sense of security. Also, she loves to see him happy and hated taking away his bottle, blanket and pacifier during those stages and waited forever to do it. I don't know i just feel like a bad Dad i don't really know what the right answer is so im out here searching the internet.

Basically I am asking am I just mean for wanting to take them away? How can I convince her it is the right thing to do if it is?