Did Germany use aircraft carriers in WWII?

I have seen pictures of america and Britain using aircraft carriers during ww2 but I have never seen a picture of a German carrier.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

no. never used one, almost built one though

Hitler had promised the German Navy (The Kriegsmarine) carriers as early as 1935, and the keel was laid for the Graf Zepplin on December 26, 1936. The Graf Zeppelin was 920 feet long and weighed 19,250 tons. Her top speed was to be 33.8 knots. Her crew complement was 1,760 and she was to hangar forty aircraft. By comparison the large American Essex class carriers of WWII could carry 80 to 100 aircraft. The Germans got as far as partly installing the catapults when the ship was then turned into a floating warehouse for u-boat parts.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Did Germany use aircraft carriers in WWII?

I have seen pictures of america and Britain using aircraft carriers during ww2 but I have never seen a picture of a German carrier.

Source(s): germany aircraft carriers wwii: https://shortly.im/5PBT4
  • 7 years ago

Generalizations and oversimplifications aside, yes Germany had one aircraft carrier in WWII though it was not completed. They did not complete construction or use it, but it existed. Here are the links:

German aircraft carrier Graf Zeppelin - Wikipedia, the free ...

Ship history|

Fate after the war|

See also|

References

German aircraft carrier Graf Zeppelin was the lead ship in a class of two carriers ordered by the Kriegsmarine. ... World War II aircraft carriers of Germany;

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_aircraft_carrier_Graf_Zeppelin - Cached

More results from en.wikipedia.org »

Did Germany have aircraft carriers during World War 2

wiki.answers.com/Q/Did_Germany_have_aircraft_carriers...2 - Cached

German Aircraft Carriers The answer is 'yes'. According to 'Jane's Fighting Ships of World War II'; 2 were laid down in 1936 under the naval programme of that year ...

More results from wiki.answers.com »

The Only Nazi Aircraft Carrier • Damn Interesting

www.damninteresting.com/the-only-nazi-aircraft-carrier - Cached

In no naval action of World War 2 will you find a German aircraft carrier taking part. ... I wonder also did the Soviet Union have any aircraft carriers during WWII?

WW2 Graf Zeppelin Kriegsmarine Aircraft Carrier

www.battle-fleet.com/pw/his/grafz.htm - Cached

German aircraft carrier Graf Zeppelin. Graf Zeppelin was an aircraft carrier of the Kriegsmarine, named in honor of Count Ferdinand von Zeppelin.

• 7 years ago

Do some geographical thinking here. Considering Germany never attacked a country that was a quite a distance away from a European City they hold, would they need them?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

You are quite right.Germany was not a natural naval power,although they had many battle ships and preferred submarines. They had no carriers in either war. Hitler said he was a hero on land yet a coward at sea.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.