Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 8 years ago

Nonfiction Books For a Highschool Freshman?

I have to read a book at least 300 pages. I want an interesting nonfiction book that I won't fall asleep too lol. no memoirs.. genres I like are mystery or crime.. just anything works as long as it's not boring. list at least 4 books incase they don't have one of them at my school library. THANK YOU!

Favorite Answer

Hi Aliyah! This is a great question--there is quite a bit of nonfiction out there and it can sometimes be overwhelming to navigate all the options. As a current graduate student of library studies and a former high school teacher I can think of several titles you might be interested in as well as some extra resources you could search to help you find more nonfiction books.

Some titles you might look into:

"In Cold Blood" by Truman Capote (343p.)--widely considered the greatest true crime novel, it dissects the murder of a Kansas family in the 1960s, paying particular attention to the men who committed the murder.

"Columbine" by Dave Cullen (464p.)--profiles the two shooters in the Columbine High School shooting of 1999, focusing specifically on the psychological reasons behind the shooting spree and the misconceptions put forth by the press after the tragedy.

"Into Thin Air" by Jon Krakauer (416p.)--this title isn't mystery/crime, but it is fascinating. It tells the story of a climbing expedition on Mount Everest that goes terribly wrong.

"Stiff" by Mary Roach (304p.)--this often humorous books explains what happens to people's bodies when they donate them to science upon death.

Other sources you might also use to find out more about great nonfiction books that high schoolers would enjoy are the American Library Association's Best Nonfiction for Young Adults award (http://www.ala.org/yalsa/nonfiction-award) and their Alex Award, given each year for adult books deemed to have "teen appeal" (http://www.ala.org/yalsa/alex-awards#alex). Also, since you said you had a specific interest in mystery/crime, I would highly recommend checking out the Edgar Awards (www.theedgars.com)--awards given out specifically for achievements in the mystery/crime genre. The Edgars give out awards for movies and TV in addition to fiction, nonfiction, and young adult books.

I hope this advice is helpful to you and that you truly enjoy whatever book you choose! Happy reading!

Source(s): www.ala.org www.theedgars.com www.collegeboard.org
  • The Man who Mistook his Wife for a Hat - Oliver Sacks

Genome- Matt Ridley

The Agile Gene - Matt Ridley

The Lemon Tree - Sandy Talon

• Miss T

Anne Frank

Istanbul by Orhan Pamuk

• curlin

you recognize, i used to savor interpreting and answering the truly some questions with reference to here, yet human beings such as you with this question only make it so lame. this question is on the comparable point of announcing" do atheists understand the thank you to make sure?" Do you in straightforward terms come at here to stir stuff up? i think sorry for you. and that i will pray for you!