How long for ATP Energy to restore after exercise?

I'm trying to go high intensity without having my body fatigue.

I'm looking for the overload principle not over training.

Favorite Answer

As long as you eat, you will replenish all lost ATP. ATP is constantly being made up, and stored for later use. Each cell; especially, brain cells do not store that much ATP, so when used up it needs to be replaced. In terms of the brain, ATP in brain cells HAVE to be replaced within 3 minutes. If not, those specific cells will die. The amount of things we do at any given time use up A LOT of ATP. So it's not so much a matter of replenishing ATP, because your body will do that. You can't do anything without it. It's more so about replenishing muscle glycogen (stored glucose). Without doing this, you will not recover as quickly, and your next workout session will not be of your full potential. The optimal time to eat after a workout session is 30-45 minutes after the session has ended.

Source(s): Bachelor's in Exercise Science and Doctor of Physical Therapy student. I am also a Certified Personal Trainer. My education stretches across a variety of courses; including, exercise psychology, exercise physiology, nutrition, sport nutrition, psychology for sport injury, exercise leadership, exercise prescription, tests and measurements, anatomy & physiology, functional anatomy, biomechanics, microbiology, and the list goes on.
  • Maria

When you exercise, you move your muscles, so they'll need extra energy to move. The energy comes from two sources: glucose and oxygen. Glucose is usually already stored in your cells, but oxygen is carried only in the blood. So, your heart beats faster to deliver the extra amount of oxygen needed by your muscles. Likewise, your respiratory frequency increases to actually get that oxygen into your blood for your heart to pump (which means you start breathing faster). As for your second question, then I'll have to use a little analogy here. If you've ever seen a plane land, then you'll know that something going very fast can't immediately stop. So, when your heart speeds up signifcantly, it will take it some time to go back to its usual pace.