Is this old piece of news about New Zealand true?

I have a friend who lived in New Zealand for a few years when he was young. He always tells us about a dry spell news-wise. He says that it one day mewspapers wrote a main article about a cat that fell into a well. The following months, newspapers had absolutely nothing to write about and so they documented the suffering, reacue, and recovery of said cat.

I couldn't find any information on this, so if there is anyone who could either prove or disprove this, that would be great.

Favorite Answer

That is not the run of the mill New Zealand newspaper, if it happened at all it would have been a very small local paper.

It wouldn't surprise me. My grandparents used to have a vacation home in a small town of maybe 20,000 people. One summer the local shopping mall hosted a cat show and the news paper dedicated several months worth of front page articles about cat care.

Point being, news papers have to write about *something* and, people like cats.