Should India go to South Africa with Shikhar-Vijay or Sehwag-Gambhir for opening-slot?

Well, my answer is Shikhar-Vijay and I'm 100% sure about that.

But I heard some people (here) arguing that we need experienced opening pair there. Would you buy those opinions?

So what would you choose:-

(a) Shikhar-Vijay           or

(b) Sehwag-Gambhir     or

(c) One from Shikhar-Vijay and one from Sehwag-Gambhir.

Update:

A historic question:- http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Atb3r... :P

Update 2:

Edit: CJ

Where were you before two tests? He hasn't scored a century away since five years. I don't know which type of stats you are providing.

I dont see any reason that why should we drop Murli or Shikhar.

Update 3:

Edit: Well, atleast MSD has scored runs at home, double century in tests and bulk of runs in one days and t20s. He does captaincy as well as wicketkeepering, but Sehwag on the other side just a burden on Indian Team cant bat, cant bowl, nothing he can do. Hence no need to carry him in any of format.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Shikhar-Vijay pair should go to South Africa. If we don’t give them chance to play overseas, how will they get the so called experience? There’s always a first chance. Moreover, we didn’t do well with the experienced pair in England and South Africa either. Even if we lose, at least the new opening pair will get a valuable experience and that’s what we need for the future.

• Sehwag is one of a kind , just because he didnt perform upto the mark in first 2 tests doesnt mean he should be sidelined totally ~

He performed quite ok in the last test series against england , as his scores suggest:

117, 25 (ahmedabad)

30, 9 (mumbai)

23, 49 (kolkata)

barring the duck at nagpur ofcourse :P

Really an experienced batsman who tackles fire with fire on lively pitches would have been a smart gamble . The indian team may need some "turbo" effect in SA conditions, because its difficult to stick around defensively out there as we've seen teams getting out cheaply in many instances in last few years in SA~

As we have a strong middle order ~ pujara, sachin, kohli and to be fair dhoni also , as he is good at stabilizing the Indian inns. in the later part. So I would pick Sehwag for sure.

The other opener could have been Vijay , but as per the present scenario Shikhar cant be dropped so i'm not too optimistic of Sehwag's chances anymore.

edit:

"He hasn't scored a century away since five years. "

so what ! dhoni has never scored a century away ~

• Shikhar-Vijay.They seems to be gelling well together as opening partners just like Sehwag and Gambhir.With both the delhi duo failing to make any consistent scores for a long time why not try this new pair?.The least that can happen is that they may fail to make any impression against mighty SA quicks but it will be a huge learning experience for them.Persisting with inconsistent Sehwag or Gambhir might be a huge gamble.

• 7 years ago

Dhawan and Vijay are still in their early phase and so it's not completely right to say they have filled the shoes of Sehwag- Gambhir but seeing both of the (b) are out of form the younger might be a better than choice but ofcourse we can't forget the experience of Sehwag and Gambhir which lead India in many famous wins, hoping that all four do well and experienced pair (b) comes in form sooner rather than it's too late.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

On test they should get a challenge to take a new opening set that is Shikhar- Vijay !!!

fortune fever's the brave !

Source(s): self
  • 7 years ago

I think there is enough time for the S.African tour. So, It will be early to comment on that.

On the current form, Shikar and Vijay deserves a go.

• 7 years ago

Sehwag & Gambhir is more experienced. But I'll go with the current one. They deserve more opportunities.

Regards.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Shikar and vijay of course.Would be valuable experience.

• 7 years ago

it doesn't matters which opening pair gets to go to SA as india would 100% loose against proteas

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Current combination is doing fine so why change it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.