what are the islamic views on genetic engineering?

• NO!
    Favorite Answer

I am a muslim, and as someone mentioned it depends on who you ask. If you ask a layman they will give you a different answer than a scholar. You need to ask this question to preferably a muslim scientists coupled with a muslim theologian. The Qur'an states ask the experts if you do not know. I am an advanced science student, and hence I may be qualified to give some scientific understanding. I also have read the translation of the qur'an several times, and there are certain themes in it.

The first idea is that 'you should not harm innocent people and you should not harm anything simply for fun'.

So if genetic engineering is used to let's say make fluorscent pigs that glow in the dark, then it is not permissible (as it does not really have a use, you are doing it for fun, and altering the natural creation of God). In fact in the qur'an there is a verse mentioned that can be alluded to cloning and it is like 'Satan will trick the people, and make them cut off the ear of cattle, and then alter God's creation'. It sounds like genetic engineering in that 'we gain some cells from the ear of a cattle, and then use recombinant dna technology to alter God's creation. Nonetheless, we are also taught to think and use common sense in the qur'an. Genetic engineering is merely a more advanced version of doing what we have always been doing, and that is selective breeding. A signifcant proportion of the Prophets were sheperds. They use to control the breeding of their flock. Thus they too used selective breeding. This goes to show that if genetic engineering is beneficial to society, then you can use it. For example, GE is used in producing insulin for humans. This is allowed in islam. You are helping others. And there is also the idea that, God would not have allowed us to advance this far if He had not willed it. There is no significant basis to not allow genetic engineering, unless it harms society or has no benefit.

And to Matt. Modern muslims does not equate to not being practicing muslims. Being a muslim is primarily about Belief in God, His angels, His prophets, His books, divine will, life after death, praying 5 times a day, giving charity, fasting and making the Hajj if able. Muslim is not just a catchphrase, there is a list of terms and conditions.

Weird ey. I get 7 dislikes (probably from atheists), and this question was asked to muslims. What you think you know about my religion more than me? The arrogance flows with you people

• Matt

I guess it depends on who you ask. There are the more conventional, borderline insane Muslims that live in oppressive nations, and then there are the more open minded(not very) Muslims that live in more modern countries, Either way at first they will reject it and then later the ones from modern counties might just accept it as all religions have to do when the world demands a science.

• ?

Like most theists, first they deny it, then accept it as God's doing. See gravity and evolution for examples (evolution hasn't happened yet, but soon will.)

Depends on which one you ask.

I don't think there is a fundamental set of beliefs for genetic engineering. I think its more of an arbitrary thing.

• Maka

the same as christians, first reject it violently, but when thats proven futile, embrace it.