Insurance on a vintage bike vs. moped?

I am getting a second mode of transportation to use in addition to my Camaro while I am at University. I originally planned on getting a moped, but am now leaning towards a vintage motorcycle like a 1970's Honda or Yamaha. I was wondering, about how would the insurance of a vintage bike compare to a moped? I am a 20 year old female, no accidents, no tickets.

• Mike
    Favorite Answer

You've been asking questions about vintage bikes for the last couple of days and no one gave you much grief about them until you mentioned you are female! Funny. Don't be discouraged about the old ones. I have a small shop that works on the stuff that is too much for me, but do a lot on my old bikes myself. (Small shops seem to be hungry enough to spend the time on the old bikes.)

I pay about $75 a year to insure each of my old bikes. It isn't great coverage, but it is from a big company (Allstate). It is more expensive in California. Maybe you can get coverage cheaper in your home state and take it with you when you go to college.

• fuzzy

Unless you are mechanically competent to do your own maintenance or have the money &/or contacts to get it done I'd shy away from old bikes. Parts are a problem with many of them & a certain amount of enthusiasm is needed to ride what is by current standards a slow unreliable bike. I'm not saying owning & riding one isn't a lot of fun but I'd be very cautious relying on one for day to day transport unless I knew a lot about how to keep it going.

I think I pay State Farm $62 a year on my '82 Honda. I don't think that's any more than what I paid on my Passport scooter.

very confusing point. lookup over search engines like google. just that could help!