What does having a sense of "presence" mean?

Is it not simply a natural sense of "I am," knowing with certitude that we (something about us, including the body, but also greater than the body) exist? Is this not the one thing we know unequivocally about ourselves, though we might question everything else? Is this not the first thing of which we... show more Is it not simply a natural sense of "I am," knowing with certitude that we (something about us, including the body, but also greater than the body) exist? Is this not the one thing we know unequivocally about ourselves, though we might question everything else? Is this not the first thing of which we are conscious, our primary essential Self?

If this is our baseline (knowing "I am"), then to what is it rooted, from what does it arise? What is aware of this sense of presence, of the "I am"?