US TREASURY 312 TAX REF. ACH credit?

I received a payment for $500 and do not know why. I did not file taxes and am not receiving unemployment. Why was this money put into my account?

• Judy
    Favorite Answer

Sounds like some kind of mistake. Don't spend it. Call your bank and ask where it came from.

This was a direct deposit amount from the US Treasury? In order to make a direct deposit you would have to provide your RTN and account numbers to the Treasury Department. They do not maintain records with this information. Contact your bank to confirm it is from the US Treasury and ask which Regional Finance Center sent the deposit. You can then contact the RFC directly to find out which government agency directed the payment and why. There are 4 RFC's: Austin, Kansas City, Philadelphia, and San Francisco. Go to the link listed as the source to get the correct phone number once you know which RFC to contact.