Does it matter where my TEFL/TESOL certificate is from?

I just completed a 160 hr Premiere Plus TEFL/TESOL course certificate through TEFL Express tesolexpress.co.uk. They say they are accredited with Language Link, London. Language Link say they are accredited with University of Cambridge ESOL, the British Council of Teaching, and English UK. But I have taken the course entirely online. TEFL Express say they also offer courses taken in class but considering I live in Ontario, Canada and not the UK it would be pretty impossible to take actual classes so I decided to pay to take the online version. A friend of mine found a Groupon that advertised the course at much less ($79) then TEFL Express advertises (over $700) so I took the course at the $79 price for the 120 hour course, then upgraded to 160 hours for an extra $99. What are your thoughts on this course? Would it certify me to teach overseas? Is it worth taking? Is it legit? Would it matter where I got my TEFL/TESOL certificate from when adding it to a resume? Is TEFL Express a good company to do one of these courses from?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Ian
    Lv 5
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

For most schools it doesn't matter... like 98%. Hours can matter a bit more than that and a few schools won't accept certificates done online. And certificates are not required in the majority of schools in Asia.

Source(s): I have taught English in China, Korea and Taiwan. http://eslinsider.com/blog/will-this-tefl-course-b...
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 6 years ago

I think you have gotten the prices a bit confused or they have upped them by now. The 100 hour course is $449 which is the least that you need. If you do plan on using the certificate you really need the 120 hour course which is $599. But of course the coupon may have been that amazing I don't know or maybe the company had just started and was wanting to get some people using it. Did you finish? Have you been able to use the certificate to get a job?

• 3res26 years agoReport

Yes, I did finish. I actually upgraded to the 160 hr one and finished that. Yes, the coupons were that amazing.

• 3 years ago

Tefl Express

• 7 years ago

It should be fine, especcially if they are linked to universities, but be careful because some online companies don't send certifcates, even after you finish the course and have paid the fees. I'm not saying that particular one would, but just be careful about it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.