2002 Dodge Ram van 1500 5.2 (318) oil sludge?

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram Van 1500 with the 5.2 V8. The van only has 39K on it, but the alternator seized up in 2005, and the original owner thought the engine was seized up so it sat until now. I bought it, towed it to my garage and changed the alternator (That had a huge crack down the center) and checked to... show more I have a 2002 Dodge Ram Van 1500 with the 5.2 V8.

The van only has 39K on it, but the alternator seized up in 2005, and the original owner thought the engine was seized up so it sat until now. I bought it, towed it to my garage and changed the alternator (That had a huge crack down the center) and checked to see if the engine was seized. I pulled the belt and the engine turned over. Next I changed the oil. The oil was pretty dark. After putting new oil and a filter on it, I disconnected the coil and cranked to check oil pressure. I had none. So I checked the sending unit, it was bad. I put a manual gauge on it, and while cranking I watched it go up to 5 PSI... so I stopped cranking.

I hooked the coil up and started it. It was loud, shaky and knocking. The knocking subsided after about 10 seconds, then quickly came back. I let it run for about 30 seconds and the knock came back. I shut it off.

I checked oil pressure again, and there is NO OIL PRESSURE. I took the oil pan off (what a pain in the you know what) and to my surprise, I have about an inch of sludge in the bottom of the oil pan, with gritty texture, pieces of what look to be either piston ring or bearing? Very thin metal strips that break easily. And a 95% plugged pick-up screen.

I'm not sure what to do... is the engine garbage? Or can I put the new oil pump on it and see how it runs? I'm stuck. Really not looking forward to pulling the engine or replacing it.