I found a gun in the woods?

Im 14, I live in Tennessee, and today I went hunting in the woods behind the farm with my bestfriend and we found a gun in the creek. Cerial numbers and everything is still on it it was in a holster but the clip on the holster was gone and bullets were still in the cylinder it looked pretty new. After me and my friend brought it into the barn and cleaned the mud off of it and dried it off we shot it and it shot fine. The nearest town by our farm is about 50 miles away and there is no police anywhere near our house. I have no idea who was behind my house but i dont like it. Should i turn it in? Can i get in trouble for keeping it?

Favorite Answer

That gun could have been used in a murder. The main reason people ditch guns is because it was used in a crime. Do you really want to live with yourself knowing you may be helping a murderer get away?

@Clark, he wont get in trouble for keeping it? What planet did you grow up on? hes not even old enough to have a license let alone a gun that was probably used in a murder.

The word is Serial not cerial. Anyway you should immediately call your local police station (not 911. Call the non-emergency police number by looking it up online) and report that you found a gun in the woods and ask them to come to your home to get it. You will not get into trouble for handing over the gun to police.

If you keep the gun then YES you will get into trouble because you are NOT old enough to own a gun (you must be age 18 to own a shot gun and over age 21 to own a hand gun)! And you need a license to have a gun and the gun must be registered in your name, when you are a legal adult. So immediately call and report this found gun to the police!

Plus it might have been used in a crime and by reporting it you might help solve a crime!

I know this question is a year old, but this thread is full of mis-information. If you had a parent/guardian turn it in (that is, if they are non-felons who could legally own firearms), the police would have them fill out some found property forms and depending on the state it would likely be their legal possession in 90 days, so long as it wasn't on the books as stolen and wasn't implicated in any crimes. BAM! Sweet 21st birthday present for you! Most likely someone was hiking or hunting and their holster broke, dropping the gun (come on, the kid said the holster belt loop was broken). It's not like he found a bag full of cocaine and hundred dollar bills, it is lost property that is not illegal in and of itself in most states.

You may not want to keep it. You have no clue what it was used for.

If you call the police and report a found gun, they will send an officer to your house to retrieve it, no matter the distance.

Source(s): Police Officer
  • Frank

Turn it in. Obviously, something bad has happened. You don't want to later get caught with a gun that was used in a murder.

Call the police. They'll drive out to see you.

Shouldn't have touched or fired it. You should have left it be and called the police or sheriffs office. You should call them still and tell them everything you've done with it. Chances are though another hunter just dropped it.

Keep it. You can familiarize yourself with a firearm at a young age & learn all you need to know about it so when you get older you can teach someone.

Source(s): ROC-D

You won't get in trouble for keeping it, but you just might be interfering with a crime.

Turn it in to the police depot and keep it as untouched as possible and know where you got it from

Call the sheriff's department and report it immediately. It could have been used in a crime. You should not have fired it or cleaned it.

Source(s): TN resident

DUDE IF SOMEONE KILLED SOMEONE WITH THAT GUN AND NOT TO SCARE U BUT U CAN GO TO PRISON FOR MURDER. NEVER DO SOMETHING LIKE THAT AGAIN

may peace be with u

no im not a hippie