moab, utah ,camping ?

hello there i'm planing to spend my summer "work and travel USA" program working in a camp in moab , utah

and i want to know every thing about the area its weather , population ,costs of living, minimum wage there and jobs , what the probability i can get a second job beside my job in the camp ??

this is the camps link :

http://moabundercanvas.com/

thanx in advance :)

Favorite Answer

I see you've asked similar questions before. Are you talking about coming over on a J-1 90 day working visa to work at a US resort? You should know in advance that there has been a lot of abuse of young people coming to the US on J-1 visas -- in fact there have been some lawsuits over it. A group of 7 students came to the US to work at a McDonalds restaurant. They were promised 40 hours of work and pay a week but most only got 25 hours. And the restaurant owner made them all stay in a crowded room in a cellar and charged each of them $300 a month for the housing, For the $2100 the 7 paid they could have rented a huge nice apartment. They finally went on strike and their situation became a lawsuit against the restaurant owner who was abusing them.

So if you are thinking of getting a job with this camping resort chain you should know your rights and assure you get a written contract from them before coming over with clear description of what you will be paid, how many hours you will have to work (by law they have to pay you 150% of your hourly rate for any hours after 40 per week) and how much they will deduct from your pay for food and lodging. And be sure you have this all arranged BEFORE you come over. Jobs are difficult to get in the US, especially in the summer when you are competing with American students. Some J-1 visa students find out they don't make enough money to cover what it cost them to come to the US in the first place.

You can find information on Wikipedia on all the sites you are considering including charts showing high and low temperatures. Unless you are from a very hot country like Saudi Arabia or South India and don't mind high heat and dry conditions, you would find Moab, Utah, to be very uncomfortable in the summer months. It is a desert and extremely hot in the summer.

• chris

Well Zain what I told you about Yellowstone is the same for Moab. Camping is primarily reservation only six months in advance so summer is booked out by now. The same with jobs the national, state and county parks look to hire summer staff right now. Including the folks at Moab under canvas. The minimum wage in Utah is $7.25 an hour which matches the federal rate. Cost of living is high as this is a tourist destination and all is trucked in from elsewhere expect to pay 10-15% more for stuff than you would in town. The possibility of finding additional work is slim to none the economy still shows a high unemployment rate for that area even with summer hireing..

Good Luck

• hickey

Sorry i have not been tenting or climbing at Moab Utah. But i do live within the state of Utah and love to head climbing and topic of fact camping. When I go hiking I costume in like jeans that way i will not get scratched via the weeds and i can even hold the bugs off my legs.I've obvious some persons hike in shorts. I take a jacket with me however have left it within the car if it used to be sizzling the day i went mountaineering. I additionally wear like tennis footwear that are comfy you'll want to put on comfy footwear. One factor to take with you even as climbing is to take quite a little of water. You don't want to get dehydrated and will want some. As for tenting take along the as a rule things that you just use to head camping with. Southern Utah is warmer than northern Utah. In July it might be sizzling in Moab like across the a hundred's.

Moab in summer. Ah, the delight. Hiking at the base of rock arches in 104-degree heat or floating down a brown silt-filled river in a raft that is crawling through a low-water flow. The AVERAGE high temperature for days in June, July, and August is more than 30 degrees Celsius or 90 degrees Fahrenheit. I choose to not camp in such heat. Many years ago, I fought wildland fires in the desert at those temperatures and saw many firefighters flee the lines. I think that you should look for a place in the Rocky Mountains at a minimum elevation of 8,000 feet if you intend to live in a tent or building without air-conditioning.

Places to consider: Grand Teton National Park, White River National Forest, and Rocky Mountain National Park.