Are the days of "careers" over?

It seems like there are no jobs especially for young graduates as all companies are looking for people with experience however there is no way of getting experience as a lot of companies that I talk to (over 80) will not even allow for me to intern for free as they consider it a liability! With companies cutting more and more jobs and employers being more picky plus technology in the near future will get rid of a lot more jobs, do you think that the days of careers are over with most fields?

Most entry level qualifications are 60 years experience plus a Phd for $45,000 a year wtf is happening?

If you are going to start at the bottom then you shouldn't need university.

Favorite Answer

It's called starting at the bottom and working your way up. My father who now works in the British Home Office started there sweeping floors at the Foreign Commonwealth Office, he now works as a senior civil servant as a contract negotiator.

Too many people are complacent. They expect to leave University and land in an extraordinarily well paid job, and don't expect that they still have to work for it. I know many fellow University graduates who turn down jobs as if a higher position is a God given right, well it's not.

-

Ridiculous and lazy thinking. Of course you still need the qualifications otherwise your employability reduces as you climb the ladder. Because guess what, success is more than grades and oh I don't know, perhaps in the real world they require work experience in order to prove your suitability for the position. It doesn't give you relevant company knowledge at the end of the day to supersede other workers in that exact role or circumstance.

It's the same old circle of being unable to get a job because you have no experience because you have no job because you have no experience

I think it's partly due to the recession, companies are making cutbacks and don't want to risk hiring someone with no experience. They want someone who does have it, and can instantly bring more profit into the company

In the US, the only chance of a career is by moving to China.

• yes dude they are