Are the days of "careers" over?

It seems like there are no jobs especially for young graduates as all companies are looking for people with experience however there is no way of getting experience as a lot of companies that I talk to (over 80) will not even allow for me to intern for free as they consider it a liability! With companies cutting more and more jobs and employers being more picky plus technology in the near future will get rid of a lot more jobs, do you think that the days of careers are over with most fields?

Most entry level qualifications are 60 years experience plus a Phd for $45,000 a year wtf is happening?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • M W
    Lv 6
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

long gone, that and the American dream

Today it would appear as though one is encouraged to lie cheat and steal. Your Grandfather did not have to.

Today's employers lie and cheat more than the workers. Did you ever wonder why 2 different individuals can be making different amounts of money for the same job?

It just goes on. But the real root of the problem is large government, career politicians and lobbyists.

• 8 years ago

I think the days of careers are over for a totally different reason than you seem to be getting at. I don't understand where you connect your question to having a tough time getting a job without work experience, though.

But to address that difficulty...standards have changed. You can get a good job, but you have to start off with crappy jobs and crappy pay for a few years in order to get there. Education isn't the key anymore. The jobs you're talking about are not "entry level." Working at McDonalds and working front desk and other customer service-type garbage is entry level. Or lucking up on an employer who will hire just anyone because they don't pay them competitively is entry level. You will not start off at $45000 a year, with a few exceptions depending on what you have a degree in or who you know. You might not even start off at $20000. But you have to take what you can get, do a good job, get good references and keep looking for better and better positions to move up to $45000+.

"Careers" are over because people are no longer staying at the same job or in the same field for 20+ yrs. This is particularly true for people who are now in their 20s. There is more of a focus on happiness and doing what makes us happy than there used to be, so we're not going to be like our parents, i.e. working a job for decades with benefits set in stone and a salary and just dealing with crap we hate. We will get tired of dealing or not making enough money and move on every year or two.

• JRW
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

No, careers are not dead.

For starters, I think a lot of young people whose parents are in white collar jobs expect to start out in jobs similar to their parents'. Our parents didn't start out at jobs making $100K, $80K, or even $60K per year (even accounting for inflation). Our parents knew they would have to start out at the bottom making today's equivalent of $20K or $30K per year. But our generation doesn't want to wait 10 or 15 years to move up the ladder at work. We want it all now. We are a very impatient generation.

The other thing to remember is that the vast majority of people without college educations have never had "careers" in the sense that they were climbing any sort of career ladder. A generation ago, uneducated people were not having careers, just like today's uneducated people are not having careers.

• ?
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Absolutely not. SOME careers are over, but that's been happening since time began. No one needs buggy whips anymore, do they?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.