Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetInternetGoogle · 8 years ago

How can I upload an iPhoto video to Google Drive?

I filmed a video using my Sony digital camera. I uploaded it onto my macbook afterwards, and it went to iPhoto. If I click on it in iPhoto, I can view it perfectly. If I open it with Quicktime Player, it's an all black video. BUT if I click on "simple viewer" it plays fine. When I tried uploading it onto google drive and then playing it, it says "sorry, we cannot display this video at this time". So i thought maybe the format wasn't working. Then I went onto a fiile converter and tried converting it into almost every format, including files that are compatible with windows and google drive. Google still does not play it. Is there any way I can upload it? Should I upload it onto my windows computer instead?

the sony camera i used is a cyber shot t99, which records MPEG-4 videos (as said on the sony website) so this should be compatible with google drive. i think that maybe having the video be on iphoto changed its format

Favorite Answer

There really is no "iPhoto video". You can catalog your videos in the list of iPhoto (Apple's goofy idea), but iPhoto does not play video. QuickTime Player plays video.

Most Sony camcorders use MPEG-2 codec, because....

EDIT: OK, I looked it up, and this is not a camcorder. It is just a simple point-and-shoot camera that has mobile phone type video option, so it is likely only MP4. Use either "Any Video Converter" or Prism to convert the videos to MPEG-4/H.264 (the modern standard that is free and plays perfectly in QuickTime Player).

As for "Google Drive", see the last link below---supported video file formats are WebM, .MPEG4, .3GPP, .MOV, .AVI, .MPEGPS, .WMV, and .FLV.

EDIT:

You say "i think that maybe having the video be on iphoto changed its format"

No, iPhoto does not change anything at all about any video. Really get your head off of iPhoto when thinking about anything that is not PHOTO. Photos are the only files you can affect with iPhoto----thus the name "IPHOTO", not "IVIDEO".

To make it even more obvious, open a video from the iPhoto list. Then look at the name of the app playing it at the top menu bar, far left. It is not iPhoto that plays the video. iPhoto DOES NOT PLAY VIDEO.

If the file that comes off the camcorder ends with "MP4", it is MP4 / MPEG-4. If the file really is MPEG-4, then Sony has used an odd codec rather than the modern standard, H.264. For that, you still use "Any Video Converter" or Prism to convert the videos to MPEG-4/H.264

You can also play almost any odd format/codec in VLC Player, but it is a very poor quality app, and does nothing for getting the file to play on Google Drive, so using either "Any Video Converter" or Prism to convert the videos to MPEG-4/H.264 is the best route.