NYC HS RESULTS. Which HS should I choose?

Hi I live in NY. We received our hs results today. I got accepted into Bard Queens and Brooklyn Tech. Which high school do you think I should choose? Please describe both high schools for me.

I live in Queens so Bard is relatively close.

• LJ
    Favorite Answer

I'm a teacher in the NYC school system.

Which school you attend depends on what kind of high school experience you want.

Brooklyn Tech is a great school, but it is huge. The classes are large (the English classes average 32 students) and the building is enormous. There are many different classes, but in 11th grade you have to specialize in one area of study, so all you elective classes revolve around that topic. Some topics are very popular (like law) and some are old fashioned and stodgy (like surveying!) However, like all three of the original "exam schools" BrooklynTech's big focus is science and math. If you are a science and math kind of kid, you'll probably like it better there.

For both Bard and Bard II, the main emphasis is English (particularly writing.) The school is very small and intimate. Classes are small (the average English class has 21 kids in it.) While there are some electives, it's too small a school to offer the range of classes the larger schools can offer. But it's classes are pitched at a pretty high level. You do all the work required of NYC high school students in your 9th and 10th grade year and then you move on to your "college classes". But even though you will graduate with 2 years of college credit, you'll find that many of the best colleges will make you take a lot of those classes over again, so it might not be as much of a head start as it sounds. (Of course you COULD go to Bard college, where they'll take ever single credit!)

The truth is, you have to decide in the end what is right for you. Both schools are respected high schools and you'll get into a good college from either one, if you do well. It really depends on the kind of kid you are.

Good luck!

Go to Brooklyn Tech its closer to you and is the better school. Just because Bard is an early college doesn;t mean you should go there most good colleges will not accept credits from Bard. Brooklyn tech will get you into a better college and give you a better education.

Hey, personally i think you should go to bard because it an early college. What you do in a regular high school in four years you do in bard in 2 years. Basically you start college two years after freshman year

i'd bypass to the all ladies college to get the acceptable journey available. you will have a lot exciting all 300 and sixty 5 days with all those activities. the different college would not sound very frustrating. It only sounds like it has boys. And that would desire to never administration your determination. as properly, I guess the ladies at your college have techniques of assembly boys besides. only draw close out and that i'm advantageous you will see a thank you to do it.