Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 8 years ago

Why is the United States so much more right-wing than the rest of the world?

The majority of the world endorses a part-capitalism, part-socialism system far more than the U.S. ever has. Even democrats, so called "left-wing liberals" in the U.S. are so right-wing. Also, most politicians in the U.S., liberal and conservative, seem to support big government (then again, that shouldn't be a surprise if you look at who funds their campaigns, something ignorant Americans have never been able to do....) yet at the same time an extremely right-wing agenda. I've never seen anything like it anywhere else.

Anyway, why is this?

• Ian E
    Favorite Answer

The study of 'politics' is far from being a scientific study. It is ever further from being an 'Art'. The labels that eventuate from political discussion (e.g. 'right-wing'), labels that are created to save thinking, usually are quite ridiculous. (e.g. The arch right-wing person is commonly thought to be Hitler. His internal actions on becoming Germany's leader were hardly what one would expect of a 'right-wing' thinker, surely?)

[i] US governments are not noted for 'compassion'. (People there are STILL shrieking about the 'New Deal', for God's sake.)

[ii] US governments are not noted for pacifism. (If something somewhere else upsets them, the very first 'solution' so often is gratuitous cluster bombs!)

[iii] The USA, the nation, is an extremely greedy nation. Their corporations go abroad to harvest money. If something in a country displeases these corporations (e.g. a law that requires manufacturers to be responsible for the pollution they may cause.), they often act extremely badly, including lawsuits against the country's government. (A real villain internationally is Coca Cola!).

Apart from the USA's dreadful reputation internationally for its horrendous military invasions, this corporate greed has sickened much of the world, and this aversion is growing, probably.

[iv] In some ways, democracy is fully functional in the USA. In stark contrast to the aggressiveness of the military and the greed of the corporations, the USA, at times, has been a kindly nation, generous and helpful. The people of America are often responsible for this largess, I feel, and it is a (slight) indication that Democracy is functioning.

(An indication of the bad feeling shared around the world for the USA is the cynical responses to this kindness that appear so very often!)

[v] Since about 1988, the US economy has been eroding. Manufacturing, once the pride of the nation, is in serious trouble. Optimism about the future is really hard to validate, as well.

Soon, many feel, the only thing that will keep the economy afloat will be the external holdings of US corporations.

As boycotts, etc. are already fiercely answering these corporations' behaviour, this poses a real problem for future governments of the USA.

[vi] My first impression of the USA (over 60 years ago when I was becoming interested in the world I lived in) was that it was an adventurous, risk-taking nation, that deserved the wealth it so obviously had. (I hadn't realised that the original core of its wealth was based on slavery.)

This willingness to try new things, this risk taking, was an attractive feature of the USA. Yes, it was extremely 'right-wing' in its lack of governmental controls over things like exploitation, of monopolistic behaviour, etc., but, in many areas, it was the opposite, I thought. If something revolutionary is going to happen, I thought, it is likely to happen in the USA. I am aware that this spirit still exists, but, like most of the world, I have grown quite cynical about it.

[vii] In the past 10 years, the USA has grossly increased its 'fascist' stance. (i.e. it has become far more 'right-wing' compared with the rest of the world. So, incidentally, has Iran, e.g.) As the days of US world dominance are shortening, this seems to be an unfortunate trend.

In 50 years time, there will be the very wealthy, the very poor, and a tiny, subservient middle class, perhaps. Obama's initiatives can prevent this calamity, but the Republican rump is a huge barrier to social progress, as is the archaic 'religious right' (and I think I can distinguish between the two...)

If adventurousness can be revived, the 'right wing' culture so obvious now could possibly disappear. I don't only refer to money-making adventurousness, however. Societal adventurousness (e.g. same sex marriage) is, perhaps, badly needing implementation. Remember, change IS possible in the US, and more than almost anywhere else!

This 'right-wing, left-wing' notion of political discussion has possibly outlived its usefulness?

The US is not mostly right-winged. It is true that Democrats are fairly moderate compared to their Left-Wing counterparts in many other countries, and Republicans are far more right-winged than any party in any other first-world country, but it's not like even they are (for the most part) extremist Fascists. The US is more moderate/less progresive due in part to its relative isolation (Canada notwithstanding) from those other countries, as well as a strong history of "traditions" and the clinging to a late 18th-century Constitution. Moreover, the US is more spread out and diverse in population than most of those other countries, and so a Socialist-style or otherwise Centralized Federal government simply wouldn't go over well here. This conflict in ideals between the varying regions/sates of the US has been going on since before the Constitution. And I also wouldn't say that most support "Big Government." And I'm not sure what you mean by Campaign funds, because most of the funding comes from Corporations, who would not want a bigger government.

Right Wing Countries

• Arnie

The Socialist ideology is a road to failure! Under socialism, incentives either play a minimal role or are ignored totally. A centrally planned economy without market prices or profits, where property is owned by the state, is a system without an effective incentive mechanism to direct economic activity. By failing to emphasize incentives, socialism is a theory inconsistent with human nature and is therefore doomed to fail. Socialism is based on the theory that incentives don't matter!

In my opinion Communism is an extreme form of Socialism..

You can thank the political and philosophical thinking of the time of the American Revolution about what freedom and liberty meant. Individualism, equal justice, equal opportunity and Natural Rights were among the key traits of what it took for freedom and liberty. Natural Rights are rights that are inherent in individuals. They do not need an outside enabler (like government) to make them work nor bestow on anyone. All this created the grand experiment of "Can man rule himself". This was all a great success. All these individualistic traits came about because the culture had to invent itself, away from existing all-controlling, government-centric influences.

Unfortunately, from the French Revolution onward, didn't have this Individualistic streak. It was already used to the idea of being taken care of by government (the King). It's ideals of liberty and freedom consisted of Collectivism and well-intended but flawed attempts to give government the power to "perfect" society. This set the mold for Europe and other countries ever since.

I agree with you partially. Our 'left wing' is just mostly talk about fairness and equality. If you claim to support equality how in the hell can you support affirmative action? It's a racist policy. If you claim to care for the children and the homeless, how in the hell can you continually donate to countries that have vowed to destroy you from the inside, like the muslims in the MIDDLE EAST? Charity starts at home.

If you care about people, how can you support not carrying through with the death penalty, when all studies show it saves 3-18 people for each killer you kill? Because prison is a slavery system, thats why.

If you care about children, how can you support abortion over contraception?

They're so backwards. I was seriously so Ashamed of being American, I actually moved to Canada.

The US is the last stronghold of free speech. The rest of the world bans people and throws them in jail for what the right has to say.

Probably has a lot to do with America's Constitution that limits the powers of government. We have a Socialist president now who is doing a good job of changing that however and he's doing it by ignoring the Constitution.

• bob

I don't know that we are, but the media which is largely owned and controlled by the right wing makes it looks that way.

Scott listen, this is America and we do things the American way! If these other countries decide to be allusioned with secularism that's their choice but where going to do what we want. We are much more right wing for multiple reasons. One because we are much younger than most other nations and our right wing mentality works and another is we choose to practice conventional thought. At lets for most of us. There is a lot that can be learned from America's traditional rights.

Source(s): Sense