Is hunting considered a sport or just a leisure activity ?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Vortex
    Lv 7
    7 years ago
    Best Answer

People still hunt for food to live on. For them it is a necessity and not a sport or leisure activity.

If a person hunts game to have an occasional unfamiliar meat, trophy, or to kill vermin it is a sport. Shooting clay pigeons is a leisure activity. For the animal none of this applies, it is just pain and death.

• 7 years ago

For some it is sport, and they do what they can to make it more of a challenge for themselves, or turn it into a competition between themselves and others. For some it is a leisure activity , and they simply do it to enjoy the outdoors, anything they bag is just a bonus. For others it is neither sport or leisure, but a method of procuring food. Some view it as a nearly spiritual act, like prayer, while others do it to satisfy something akin to blood-lust, a desire to kill. It all depends on the individual.

• 7 years ago

Depends on the animal and the equipment used. If you're shooting animals from a helicopter, then it's probably just leisure. If you're hunting bears with muzzle loaders or bows, then it's an extreme sport. You get where I'm coming from? But often times it's both, there's physical activity involved, and you get to be out in nature.

• 7 years ago

Both. Today, people equate sports with pure athletics or competition, but the word originally meant something you did for pleasure and amusement. 500 years ago hunting and fishing were one of the few sports that people did.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • maida
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

nicely i'm unable to vote, yet i circulate to be a Repulican. (i be conscious of that, i in my opinion do.) one million.soccer 2. Basketball 3. soccer 4. Baseball 5. Hockey 6. Bowling 7. Snow snowboarding 8. Water snowboarding 9. Boating 10. golf

• chris
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Both, competition is human nature and that is how "sport" enters the category biggest fish, deer etc. will always be a bragging point.

• ?
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

It depends on who you ask. Hunters consider it a sport. But when you ask a deer or turkey, you will get a much different opinion.

• 7 years ago

Its debatable but technically yes it is a sport and hobby

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.