promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Is it possible to make software that can not be pirated?

In developing country like my country there is so many stores that sell pirated software (games, applications, movie and many more). Almost 99% of the software, movie are pirated, even windows operating system is pirated too. My questions is, if windows can be pirated, is there possible to make software that 100% cannot be pirated?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

No. Red Hat distributes several versions of their OS freely and in one of their filings said that many of their consulting contracts require them to support "pirated" versions of their software. Since usually RHEL is available for free with the consulting services what they can mean by that has to be somewhat ambiguous but of course if you can pirate that you can pirate anything.

Micro$oft is not a fair benchmark. Since the eighties they have used two different attitudes towards piracy for an OS which isn't very secure (still, despite all the changes). In the developed world they want our money. Period In the developing world they are willing to wink. This is cynical and horrible because it allows them to define what is pirated and what is not as well as disincentivising them from securing their OS. I mean I heard a chinese director telling american media "You don't understand, our censorship is so heavy I have to use pirated material so I gave enough information to do my job." Hello, if the only way to do your job is to be a criminal it is because they want the default to be they can lock you up or shut you down for anything, and they need information too so if you can't get it legally they can't get it either. That is what is wrong with Micro$oft's attitude. And what is wrong with piracy

If you are really creative you can find ways to make it worth as many peoples' while as possible to support you rather than just take.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 7 years ago

Possible yes. Question is it practical.

You can protect software from being pirated by using an elaborate software keying system. Software doesn't work or won't install unless a valid key is provided by the user.

The problem with elaborate keying systems is the support burden for when it doesn't work. Microsoft has tried various keying systems over the years. As soon as they come out with one somebody figures out how to get around it, so MS has to come up with an alternative system. You reach a point of diminishing returns.

Most people are honest (at least in the "western world") and don't pirate software. So if your Microsoft which is more value - investing in improving the products to keep the people who pay for them happy or investing in trying to stay ahead of the crooks? Despite how big MS is, odds are they can't afford to do both well.

How about the developing countries stop being a bunch of thieves? You want the US taxpayers to give you aid and this is how you return the favor?

• 7 years ago

Never ever. Microsft always gives maximum security but Windows always get cracked. Thats it. There are always loop holes for pirates and which can only be known after piracy.

Source(s): Common Sense in Programing
  • Karl
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

Absolutely not.

Methods differ, but any software can be pirated.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.