Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Games & RecreationVideo & Online Games · 7 years ago

How do I know if I'm a tank, sweep, DPS or otherwise?

I've been playing MMOs for a while, but I don't understand these terms. I'd like to do nests and raids with people outside of my guild. but I don't want to be criticized for not knowing what they mean. I

Favorite Answer

A tank is both durable and can control the enemies. You need a lot of hit points and/or damage reduction to survive, and you also need to be able to keep the enemies from hitting your friends. The most common method is by taunting, or generating threat/aggression which causes them to prefer hitting you instead.

A healer - obvious, you heal. But more importantly, you have to be able to heal while others are taking damage. You increase the party's survivability by healing them or healing the tank(s) while they are fighting the enemies. You will also likely have the ability to resurrect/revive them if they are knocked out/killed.

DPS stands for Damage Per Second. A DPS-type character is focused on dealing as much damage as possible in the shortest amount of time, though there may be other factors they must consider, such as not hitting so hard that they draw aggression/threat from the tank. DPS and healers are often SQUISHY, which means they die quickly when they get hit by enemies. So both healers and DPS, especially squishy ones, must learn not to get hit. Action-oriented games tend to allow decent survivability on all characters, while the more strategic games may force you to rely on tanks to take the hits.

----------------------------

Some other common character types:

Sweep - I believe this may refer to AoE/AE (area of effect) characters which can wipe out multiple weak enemies quickly. These are very useful in situations that involve a lot of small enemies, especially in games where most characters don't have any AoE skills.

Support - Using abilities that make everyone else stronger, or make the enemies weaker. They may use AURAS (active abilities which have a passive benefit on nearby friendlies), BUFFS (abilities you cast onto another player to give them a benefit for its duration, or CURSES/DEBUFFS (abilities you cast on enemies to weaken them). Support classes often serve other purposes, and in many games all of the support abilities are merged into different classes, so nobody is expected to actually play the support role. Some games use it though.

CONTROL/CC (Crowd Control) - Using abilities that stun enemies or prevent them from moving, activating abilities, or causing damage. Like support, most games don't have characters specifically oriented toward control, but many games require some use of control even if it's done by characters playing other roles. You should also be careful around control effects; they can often be broken by hitting the enemy that is being controlled. Control effects allow you to thin the enemies down and fight them a few at a time, or KITE them more easily. Kiting is when you move out of their range and attack them from a distance so that they are unable to hit you.

and other games may have their own specific types of character roles. I've played lots of games and have yet to see any that make extensive use of anything called a "sweep". So if it's not listed here, you should feel alright asking people what it means.

-edit-

DoT stands for Damage over Time. You may hear people talking about DoTing up a MOB (mobile object - refers to NPC(non-player character) world spawns). This just means they are putting slow-damage effects on a particular enemy and then letting it die slowly from the effects. Sometimes these are extremely effective on boss fights - the encounter takes longer so the DoTs have more time to have their full effect.

Source(s): gamer for life

Tank - The one who takes the damage for the team. (Paladin etc)

DPS - The heavy damage doer (Mage, Warrior etc).

Sweep? - I guess you mean stealth (Assassins, Range etc).