Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Can homosexuals honestly be denied rights in 29 states?

I saw the WWYD episode that they did in Texas when it originally aired, but I don't remember seeing that bit where it showed that gays/lesbians can be denied service in 29 states. But today I looked it up on YouTube and saw it.

Sadly, it odes not post a full list.

I've been googling for a list of which states can do this, but to no avail. Can someone post the list AND a source, please?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Percy
    Lv 6
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

A gay person can be denied service in a restaurant (or fired or denied housing, by the way) in any of the following:

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wyoming.

This comes from the below - it's all the states not on the two lists below.

"Public Accommodation Law is what protects certain groups from being discriminated against in places like restaurants. Unfortunately, there is no federal law that prohibits discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity in places of public accommodation. Several states and hundreds of municipalities have laws that protect LGBT people from discrimination, but it is a vast and varied patchwork that differs by state, county and city.

Fifteen states and the District of Columbia prohibit discrimination in employment, housing and public accommodations based on sexual orientation and gender identity / expression: Minnesota, Rhode Island, New Mexico, California, Illinois, Maine, Hawaii, New Jersey, Washington, Iowa, Oregon, Vermont, Colorado Connecticut, Nevada. Six other states prohibit discrimination based on only sexual orientation, and they are Wisconsin, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Maryland, New York and Delaware."

• kitt
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

Wwyd Episode List

• 8 years ago

There is a good Wiki article on gay rights in the USA here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_the_Un...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.