What air filter should I get for my car?

I am thinking about getting either a $12 Fram or a $42 K&N washable filter. Does buying a K&N over a fram give better performance? I figure because it's washable, the K&N might be worth it in the long run. I have an 03' Audi A4 Avant and have been getting terrible MPG, I am hoping a new air filter will help improve things. Any help is appreciated.

• Best Answer

Its a filter if your not getting a cold air intake youll notice nothing. The filter just sucks the same hot air from your engine as your stock one. And i would just get the stock one ull notice no difference and becareful with those kn's you can throw a check engine light if u dont oil them or if you over oil them. Dont waste your time/money

The regular filter is fine, Fram. As long as its not performance car. If its a V6 Audi A4, then regular paper filter is all you need.

You should be getting within 80% of the advertised MPGs for the car. if you get worse, then you need to do maintenance for the car.

Cars with electronic fuel injection compensate for dirty air filters, and would not contribute to the MPGs

just get the cheap fram filter.

but id get something other than fram. fram doesnt make the best stuff, even though it looks orange and clean

with a clogged filter, you just wont notice good engine performance. it doesnt affect MPG.

if you have a check engine light on, get it diagnosed. it could be an O2 sensor, which is causing you to get poor fuel economy.

A K&N filter can give better performance. It just depends on the car's design. If most of the restriction is in the paper air filter you will get better benefits. If most of the restriction is in the intake then you won't notice a difference. A K&N air filter can be used for up to 50,000 miles before cleaning so you won't have to worry about cleaning it for a while.