CATHOLICS ONLY: Do dogs have immortal souls?

I know humans have immortal souls. But what about dogs and other animals? My doggies definitely have personality and life in their eyes. When my one dog passed away two years ago, he looked like a dead person... He didn't have any life in his eyes and just looked soulless! So many Catholics say that animals don't go to Heaven, even pets. But one priest said that everything living, even plants, have souls. They just don't understand morals and cannot sin. When I die and my dogs die, will they go to Heaven??

Favorite Answer

I believe our family pets will have a special place in heaven

GENESIS 9: 14-17

When I gather the clouds over the earth and the bow appears in the clouds, I shall recall the covenant between myself and you and every living creature, in a word all living things, and never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all living things. When the bow is in the clouds I shall see it and call to mind the eternal covenant between God and every living creature on earth, that is, all living things. `That' God told Noah, `is the sign of the covenant I have established between myself and all living things on earth.'

ISAIAH 11:6-9

And the wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid, and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them. And the cow and the bear shall feed, their young ones shall lie down together, and the lion shall eat straw like the ox. And the sucking child shall play on the hole of the asp, and the weaned child shall put his hand on the cockatrice's den. They shall not hurt or destroy in all My holy mountain, for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord as the waters cover the sea.

JOB 12:7-10

You have only to ask the cattle, for them to instruct you, and the birds of the sky, for them to inform you. The creeping things of earth will give you lessons, and the fish of the sea provide you an explanation: there is not one such creature but will know that the hand of God has arranged things like this! In his hand is the soul of every living thing and the breath of every human being!

PSALM 50:9-11

I have no need of a bull from your stall or of goats from your pens, for every animal of the forest is mine, and the cattle on a thousand hills. I know every bird in the mountains, and the creatures of the field are mine.

PSALMS 50:10-11

For all forest creatures are mine already, the animals on the mountains in their thousands. I know every bird in the air, whatever moves in the fields is mine.

PSALM 136:25

...And who gives food to every creature. His love endures forever.

PROVERBS 12:10

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal

ECCLESIASTES 3:19-21

Man's fate is like that of the animals; the same fate awaits them both: As one dies, so dies the other. All have the same breath, man has no advantage over the animal. Everything is meaningless. All go to the same place; all come from dust and to dust all return. Who knows if the spirit of man rises upward and if the spirit of the animal goes down into the earth?

LUKE 12:6

Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? And not one of them is forgotten before god.

Catholic Christian †

RE: Does the Catholic Church consider animals have souls and will likely be in heaven? This has relatively been related to me nowadays. I've completed some research and located that many Catholic sources think that animals shouldn't have souls, or at first-class, wouldn't have immortal souls. As a brand new member of the Catholic Church, I find this to be a devastating, religion-shaking inspiration. How could anybody consider...

God said He created man in His image. He did create the animals but didn't make them in His image. "His image" means we have spirits/souls. So we know animals and plants don't have souls. Souls are what help us search for our Creator. Animals and plants aren't aware of their Creator. But in the Book of Revelation we see about lambs and lions are in Heaven. So maybe animals are in Heaven. But really there is no reason for animals to be in Heaven.

Source(s): Animals can't sin. They don't know anything about God and His laws.

All Dogs Go to Heaven

Source(s): Animated Film

Souls passing over is not just a Catholic thing. I do not believe in heaven, but do believe that souls pass on.

• In catholicism it is unknown if animals go to heaven but they are said to not have souls or go to heaven when they die.

Source(s): Ex-catholic

No such thing as a soul, dogs or otherwise.

I was wondering the same question myself today

God doesn't exist

• .,,.

No.

Source(s): ex catholic, now an atheist.