zeldaftw asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 7 years ago

Is it okay that I cheated on my diet?

So, for the last 4 weeks I've been pretty dang good at eating healthy and exercising, but I've had a few days here and there where I ate something I shouldn't have...usually I don't feel too guilty if I have a small candy bar, but yesterday I had a chicken sandwich with mayo and lettus and some tater tots, and today was Pi day, so my algebra class brought in food...I had a small piece of oreo pie, just the top of a cinnimon roll (I just eat the frosting...done it since I was little, lol) and I also had a cookie. I'm SO freaking out right now, and feel so guilty about it...I'm debating whether or not to eat lunch now, today...should I skip lunch and exercise harder today or just accept that I messed up a bit, or continue my day as usual (with my normal healthy meals and exercise) and just plan on starting back up tomorrow?

Favorite Answer

Of course it's okay!

However, I should say this: it isn't healthy to think of yourself as "going" on a diet. You should think about your diet as part of your long term lifestyle, not something that you can succeed, fail, or "cheat" on in any way.

It is best to concentrate on adding the right foods to your diet, rather than worrying about what you shouldn't eat.

Once you are obtaining all the vitamins and minerals you need (and achieving the correct balance of carbs/fat/protein) from the foods that you eat, you will stop craving food that is bad for you. This process is a lot easier and much more pleasant than it sounds.

***************************

I present you with a two part challenge:

1) For one week, eat a box of berries (appx. 10 oz) every single day. I know they are kind of expensive, but if you do this, you will start to notice that junk food doesn't appeal to you as much anymore. This saves most people money in the long term. Also, they are not fully in season yet, but they will still have the same effect.

[Why berries? They are one of the most neglected food items with probably the most benefits. They help with digestion, energy and stamina levels, mental clarity, mood regulation, weight loss, blood sugar regulation, and can even prevent cancer, heart disease, and Alzheimers disease.]

2) If you experience a craving for a food that is junky, do the following:

-Close your eyes for a moment (if you can), and breathe slowly in and out through your nose. Imagine looking at the food you're craving. Look at it very close up in your mind. Wait a minute... what's that? is that grease? Ew... that's kinda gross... Oh well, we'll eat it anyway. *nom nom nom* hmmm... that's not as tasty as I imagined it would be. It's kinda slimy. Maybe if I eat another one, it will be better! *nom nom nom* okay, well that wasn't AWFUL, but it tasted even worse than the first one... and now I feel a little nauseus! (Eat a LOT of them in your head, and really concentrate on the gross feeling you get after eating it.) We crave things because we want that rush of endorphins associated with it. Through visualizations, you can break [or even reverse] this association!

***************************

Never feel guilty about eating too much food, it just means that your body is confused and is trying to get the nutrients that it needs. It is always a bad idea to become emotionally attached to our diets (regardless of whether that emotion is positive or negative). It usually just makes the situation worse.

And don't feel bad about getting in that situation in the first place. Food companies make a living out of getting people hooked on junk food. It is a multi-billion dollar industry, and almost impossible to avoid. [But, though conscious eating, you can escape it's powerful grasp without starving or inconveniencing yourself!]

*Make sure not to skip a meal. That slows down your metabolism more in the long run, so your body will just hold on to the next meal it receives. It is best to have 5 or 6 snacks/small meals spread throughout the day.

P.S. What is your ultimate health/nutrition goal? If you elaborate a bit more, it will be easier to provide more individualized advice.

Source(s): Nutritionist (If you send me an e-mail [love2teach101@gmail.com], I will be happy to give you a new challenge every week!)

Do NOT skip your healthy lunch. We all mess up on occasion - its actually good once in a while (though perhaps not to that extent) because it confuses the body so your diet doesn't grow stale and stop being effective.

You never want to 'skip' your fuel (healthy meals) because you overate on junk. You still need to fuel your body, and you still need to follow your workout routine.

If you are on track 80% of the time, you will eventually reach your fitness goal. Don't feel guilty about eating junky food - it happens, we move on.

Except you're very concerned to your food plan i wouldn't. Try to have in the future within the week where that you can devour some junk and the leisure of the times you must weight loss program. If you want to drop extra pounds I propose endeavor so that you may eat as a lot as you wish to have and nonetheless drop pounds. Micheal Phelps workouts 6 hours a day and is capable to eat 10,000 energy a day! If you want to shed extra pounds effortlessly, you should run or swim laps.

Well, I'm just starting out on my diet so I'm not sure if this is the right answer BUT...I would say just try your hardest to get back on schedule! It wasn't okay to just go and have an oreo pie because it's obviously not good for you. It IS okay to have something yummy now and then though, but don't over do it! :)

Source(s): you can do it girly! :)

Yes eat lunch just keep going dont give up on ur diet just act as if u DiDnT cheat and eat ur lunch and dinner regularly ur body won't mind afew more calories on the log promise it won't put u back any

if you always try to make up for what you've done..diet wise..then you'll never get anywhere..just accept that you messed up and try and do better the next time you're in that situation..it's ok to slip a little..just don't make it a habit

its never good to cheat because if someone tells you that it is your going to keep cheating and your going wind up taking more days off your diet because you think its ok