Your favorite video game environments?

What games have worlds, levels or environments that drop your jaw? In this way I've always thought that video games were most certainly art. I thought the world of Final Fantasy 12 was beautifully made and designed with the overgrown forest, caves, deserts and plains. I mean the Giza Plains and the Cities were just stunning.

I think my winner though is dark souls and demon's souls. the levels in dark souls blended together so well and always fit the mood perfectly. The tomb of giants was creepy as F*** and Blightown was masterfully designed to be frustrating, scary and ominous. And i freaked out more than once in the sewers.

I didn't want to state the obvious but yes Bethesda designs thier worlds like masters. Skyrim and Fallout are amazing and with PC mods they become tear jerkingly beautiful. Mothership Zeta, The Pitt, Solstheim, and the Shivering Ilses are prime examples.

Favorite Answer

Final Fantasy's environments has got to be my favourite. My runner ups are definitely Red Dead Redemption, Mafia II (In the summer), Fallout 3 and The Elder Scrolls V.

WOW Pandaria is a new continent located to the south of the Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor. Several zones have been added, including the Jade Forest, Valley of the Four Winds, Vale of Eternal Blossoms, Townlong Steppes, Kun-Lai Summit, Krasarang Wilds, and the Dread Wastes. The Jade Forest is the first zone, and the entry point for the Alliance and Horde. It features lush rainforest and stone spires, and introduces the player to the Hozen and Jinyu races. It contains the Temple of the Jade Serpent, one of the new dungeons, and introduces the Sha enemy. The Valley of the Four Winds includes Pandaren farm lands, with a coastal jungle. The Stormstout Brewery, another new dungeon, is located in the valley. There are auction houses scattered across the five zones of Pandaria. Along with these normal auction houses, a "black market" auction house is located in an area north of the Valley of the Four Winds called the Veiled Stair. Unlike the player controlled auction house, this auction house is controlled by NPCs who post items, usually of rare status or those that have been removed from the game in previous expansions. Both Horde and Alliance can use the black market auction house.

I loved the atmosphere of Skyrim so much - it was such a beautiful setting. The norse styled buildings, the snow covered pebbled roads, snowy mountains etc made the game one of my favourites of all time.

A less obvious choice would probably be Black Mesa - I'm really into the giant labyrinth of technology mixed with the Nevada desert. That first scene on the tram seeing all the different sectors of Black Mesa with all the machinery and technology was cool too. This goes for Portal's Aperture Labs were cool for the same reason - however it was cleaner and slicker (except for the underground old labs) which made an effect contrast to Black Mesa.

Finally Red Dead Redemption had one of my favourite atmospheres of all time. I frequently took my horse out and explore the landscape appretiating the amount of detail R* had put into their design. All the townspeople fit nicely into their environments too and the overworld soundtrack really made you feel like you were in the 1910's.

• Vlad

As long as they are colourful I like most environments.

I don't like it when games are just black, brown and grey.

Some favourites: the Darksiders games, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands, Red Dead Redemption, the Unchartered games, Fable 2 and 3.

Final Fantasy 13's world is amazing!!!! If they'd had world map roaming I promise the game would've been much better because it was just beautiful. Also Final Fantasy IX.

I loved the atmosphere of tge first Bioshock the first time I played it there were times when I had to crawl into a corner and pray I wasn't found

Anther game I love is TimeShift

Source(s): Personal experience

hmmm... for singleplayer i might actual want to work out form of a madhouse in an fps with infantrymen or zombies everywhere yet i doubt a gcard as we communicate might have the means to cope with the quantity of mirrors reflecting random AIs and you. i might particularly like a brilliant outdated mansion surrounded by means of a small section coated in snow or a ruined city, thoroughly destroyed with distinctive places to bounce out

• nasty1

i loved the work done in the elder scrolls games.if you go out exploring in each of these worlds there is so much to see and do and the different enviroments are cool.hope this helps.

skyrim