I am a sole proprietor and now have two businesses in NY state. Do i need two different sales tax id numbers?

the sales tax id number starts with TF- and then a bunch of numbers... How do i go about applying to get another number if needed. The businesses are different types of businesses... one is video production and the other one is selling toys online.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Sales tax never is reported on a business tax return; not sole proprietorship, partnership or corporate. It is a Fiduciary Tax meaning the merchant must collect the tax from the end user (customers) and remit it to the state. It is NOT an expense nor income for the merchant. The only reason it shows on the books is for tracking purposes.

NY requires multiple locations to be "certified" but you can combine them on one return. Unless you got an EIN for each business (good idea to protect your ID) your tax ID is your social security number.

Here is a page from the NY Dept of Taxation on "How to Register"

http://www.tax.ny.gov/pubs_and_bulls/tg_bulletins/...

This is the main NY Sales Tax page

http://www.tax.ny.gov/bus/st/stidx.htm

• anup
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

No, it makes greater experience for agencies to music purchases. right this is the factor, in spite of the undeniable fact that. in case you had a warm dogs stand that teleported randomly from state to state, it would be a super difficulty to maintain music of what you bought wherein state. once you're promoting widgets on the internet, all that suggestions is in the form the customer fills out. meaning that application can checklist, calculate, or perhaps pay the suited share to the ultimate states, with none authentic extra difficulty in any respect.

• tro
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

probably not, but to be sure you need to access the NY web site for the sales tax agency and see if they require separate numbers or one is sufficient since the ownership is the same

• Rob
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

u need two sets of books = 2 different tax #s.

do check with tax agency

Source(s): biz owner.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.