Ray asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 8 years ago

Do prescription drugs affect the effects of birth control?

My gf said they may.... And I'd like to know

• helene

Some antibiotics MAY decrease the effectiveness of the pill. It's not "for sure", but a baby is "for sure" once it's created, so why take a chance?

You know what else interferes with birth control? Grapefruit. It completely interferes with absorption of the pill. Don't eat grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice while on the pill.

• Laura

This depends on what medications you are talking about. Antibiotics will render the birth control ineffective, so it is basically like she isn't taking any at all. She should talk with her doctor about any and all medications that she is taking and see if they interfere with her birth control.

She shouldn't drink grapefruit juice either, it is just like antibiotics and will make the birth control ineffective.

• Medea

Antibiotics can for sure. Other than that, you'd have to google it. But I know for a fact that if she takes certain antibiotics, it will cancell out the birth control. Why wouldn't you believe her?

• A

Some do. She should always make sure the doctor knows what bc she is using.