Anonymous

Why do they call him Jackie chan? Why not Jackie san or Jackie kun?

• Lv 7
    Best Answer

* ^ * ^ * ^ * ^ * ^ * ^ * ^ * ^ * ^ * ^ * ^ * ^ * ^ * ^ * ^ * ^ * ^ * ^ * ^

Jackie Chan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_Chan

"Jackie Chan, SBS, MBE[1] (born Chan Kong-sang, 陳港生; 7 April 1954)[2] is a Hong Kong actor, action choreographer, comedian, director, producer, martial artist, screenwriter, entrepreneur, singer, and stunt performer. In his movies, he is known for his acrobatic fighting style, comic timing, use of improvised weapons, and innovative stunts. He is one of the few actors to have performed all of his film stunts. Jackie Chan has been acting since the 1960s and has appeared in over 150 films."

His real name is Chan Kong-sang. The "Jackie" part is the Hollywood part, not the "Chan".

He is from Hong Kong and not Japan, where the "San", "Chan", and "Kun" are part of the language.

p.s. I don't think this is a dumb question... Most non-Asians are exposed more to Japanese and not the MANY other East Asian cultures/languages so we're far more apt to latch onto the idea that something is Japanese and not Chinese, Korean, etc.

Chan is a Japanese honorific that usually refers to Children... I would say "Stacy-Chan" if I were referring to a child or even just as "Chan" as in referring to a child or children.

I only know this because I watch copious amounts of Japanese Anime in the Original Language with Subtitles.

Q. How do you use "~ san," "~ kun" and "~ chan"?

http://japanese.about.com/library/blqow38.htm

"~ chan (~ちゃん)" is often attached to children's names when calling them by their given names. It can also be attached to kinship terms in a childish language.

Even though Jackie Chan is a funnier actor, I believe Jet Li is far better within the martial arts department. I like Jackie Chans films like Rush Hour, but Jet Li is a technique better fighter. Have you visible the Forbidden Kingdom with both of them? Jackies personality is humorous and a exceptional fighter, however when Jet Li fights I was like WOW!

Hehe I see what you did there xD. Chan usually is only said when referring to a girl. People must believe he's a girl

you just won the dumbest question of the day award

congratulations

I'm sorry what?