Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationRail · 7 years ago

How many men man a modern freight train?

I know it is probably not just the engineer. This is a train that goes through my area in a trench (great invention) carrying resources locally from town to town and beyond. It is because of the trench that I can enjoy the train, much muted, like a train in the movies. So the trains pass invisibly. But I get this recurrent idea that some day, one day, in a rare occurence, the train will stop and the railroad men will come up on ladders up onto the lawns.

So I am wondering how many railroad men make up a typical crew?

Favorite Answer

Generally, two: conductor and engineer. The crew may have a brakeman, as appropriate, to assist the crew.

Usually, it's a Locomotive Engineer and Conductor. If it's a Local, such as those that service industries, they'll need some extra help to collect every needed railcar, so they'll throw on a Brakeman, they're basically a Conductor Trainee.

Usually in a railyard there are people scattered all over, since there's so much to do, that's the point where the train is broken up and each railcar is put onto another train, it's much more complicated than that, lol.

So, basically in a railyard there's no telling who's where, who's what. Obviousley, you have more than one Locomotive Engineer, than you have Brakeman/Switchman, and all that. Usually on a Road Train which are those that take a train from Point A to Point B, those usually have only a Locomotive Engineer and Conductor, than as I mentioned, the Local has a Conductor, Engineer and sometimes Brakeman.

The United States is one of the few countries left in the developed world which still has multiple-staffing of freight trains; usually 2 or 3 people. Most other places have gone to single-person crews - which is a retrograde step, imho.

And btw, women can be on train crews as well.

As for your recurrent paranoia - train crews are usually very friendly people. Nothing to worry about there.

• Erika

Very not often, handiest the local trains could have them. The caboose has been replaced via the EOT , or end Of coach gadget, repeatedly referred to as FRED , for Flashing Rear finish device) . The EOT has a marker gentle , and a few of them screen brake air strain and relay air strain readings to the locomotive via radio modem.

• Shakah

I always see two to three people on them. Usually, they have the three when they are collecting cars from all the sidings when they are putting the train together.

Two if it is carrying ordinary resources, such as coal. More if it is carrying something very expensive that requires extra guards to prevent theft, such as jewelry.

• In the US, it's typically two men. I don't know about other countries.