Should you wait until your divorce is final before you start dating again?

I kicked out my ex at the end of December. It is definitely over, but I'm not sure when my divorce will be final. It is taking infuriatingly long, as he wants my stuff and spousal support. When do you think it would be appropriate to date again?

Update:

We have no children and I'm only in my late 20's.

I live in a no-fault state so legally,it doesn't matter if I start dating again.

8 Answers

Relevance
    Lv 7
    7 years ago
    Best Answer

If you are emotionally over your spouse, and just waiting for the legalities to get wrapped up (and dating cannot hurt you in the divorce, legally) then go ahead and date but be honest with potential dates/suitors that you are going through a divorce and don't know when it will be finalized...

If a person is not emotionally over their spouse, rebound dating isn't kewl...dating to replace their spouse or hide from the pain, not fair to the other person at all...

When my first marriage ended, I was hurting and I didn't date for a while...when my 2nd marriage ended, was going out (casually) before the divorce was final....likewise I've dated guys who were separated, but I always proceed with caution because sometimes they're just looking for some comfort and really want to be back with their wife...

• 7 years ago

Personally, I'd wait till I totally resolve my divorce issues. You don't want to be dating with all the pressure on your head besides, it is too soon to be involved in another decision so you may be quite vulnerable at this time even though you may not realize it. This might result in you making wrong relationship decisions. So finish your battle with your ex, take a break and tend to yourself a little and don't look hard for a date. You will know when the right time is when you feel completely hal. You will know you are healed when you stop comparing other men to your ex.

All the best

• 7 years ago

I think it really depends on your personal morals. Also, whether or not you have children and what kind of example you''d want to set for them. If you are absolutely positive you are over with, than it may be appropriate to date. But then again, why would you want to rush into something when you aren't out of the current something yet..

• 7 years ago

Honestly I wouldn't start dating right after divorce or even during the process. I would take time to get to know myself and give plenty of time to heal my pain. It's not a good idea to hook up with someone at this stage. Anyways if you feel ready go ahead! You know the best for yourself.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

No fault or not, cover your @ss and wait. You are still married, you still have vows, and you can wait a while longer.

No fault or not, if you're an adulteress that may make the courts more sympathetic toward him.

• 7 years ago

Yes, wait until it is final otherwise, he will call you an adulteress which will not sound pretty in court.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

You should wait, you're still legally married to him although you aren't "together".

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

dont wait move on, thats what i would do. its already over for sure. you have filed for it and now its time to live again and to be happy again.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.