Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

MY civil rights Brown Vs. Board essay?

Just wanted to know what you thought on it. btw I'm in 7th grade regular English, working with a partner who didn't do half their work. So just if you think I could add something plz tell thanks!!!

In the 1950’s, the general rule for schools was “separate but equal”. Across the south, most of the public schools didn't allow black students to attend their "white" schools. Many of the black students felt as if they were receiving an education that was inferior to that of the white students. This law was challenged by thirteen parents, who tried to enroll their children into white schools. Later, a lawsuit was filed against the board of education by the NAACP. This case became known as the Brown vs. Board of Education (Cozzens).

Before the Brown vs. Board came into view, there was the Plessy vs. Ferguson case. The verdict of this lawsuit was “separate but equal”. Despite the public view, this was anything but equal. An example was, if $150 was spent on white students, only ⅓ of that was spent on African American students. Most of their educational items, such as textbooks, were outdated, or hand-me-downs. For most black schools, there wasn’t adequate funding and the classrooms were constantly overcrowded (Think quest, 2010).

With her school supplies in her book bag, Linda Brown had to walk a mile to her school every day. However, there was a white school only seven blocks away from her house. Since she was African American, the school did not accept Linda (Cozzens). Her father, Oliver Brown, asked the NAACP to help him file a lawsuit against the Board of Education; they agreed. Black parents from other states joined in on the case. Although Brown vs. Board of Education was five cases combined, it was named after Brown. The five cases were from Washington D.C, Delaware, South Carolina, Virginia, and Kansas (The University Of Illinois, 2008). The cases ranging from Delaware to Virginia all involved a group of African Americans who were refused admission to a predominantly white school, due to their skin color ("Combined brown cases,”).

This case was first viewed by the Supreme Court October 1, 1951. Segregating schools ment the African American students had gotten the short end of the stick. The NAACP did not argue that the facilities and funding were unfair, instead they stated it caused psychological damage. Black students felt inferior to white students and it was an obstruction to their learning. The Boards defense was the early segregation prepared them mentally for what they were to face in adulthood. They also argued that many great African Americans such as; Frederick Douglass, Booker T. Washington, and George Washington Carver overcame segregated schools. The Board thought that segregated schools was not an issue (Cozzens). On May 17, 1954, the court came to the decision stating, "We come then to the question presented: does segregation of children in public schools solely on the basis of race, even though the physical facilities and other "tangible" factors may be equal, deprive the children of the minority group of equal educational opportunities? We believe that it does...We conclude that in the field of public education the doctrine of 'separate but equal' has no place. Separate educational facilities are inherently unequal. Therefore, we hold that the plaintiffs and others similarly situated for whom the actions have been brought are, by reason of the segregation complained of, deprived of the equal protection of the laws guaranteed by the Fourteenth Amendment (Cozzens).”

This was a major breakthrough for the civil rights movement. Schools had officially become desegregated, but there is still a lot of work to be done. Today, the schools are in some way segregated. One way is due to the fact that parents who can afford to send their kids to a private school will. Those who can’t, send their kids to public schools. One isn’t “inferior” to the other, but this is an example of economic segregation. Another example is the schools in an area with a dominating race. These schools will tend to have more of one race than a balanced mix. In a perfect world there would be desegregated schools, at this point it’s mostly integrated. Everyone lives and realizes those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Segregation in any form, especially in schools, belittled African Americans. The Brown vs. Board was a milestone for the civil rights movement, this helped try to reverse any damage that was done. The public, overall, doesn’t have the same perspective as they did fifty years ago. “Separate but equal” isn’t a general rule anymore. A more modern saying would be “all for one, and one for all”.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

All in all it is very good {better than most high school essays on here - seriously}, but needs a few minor fixes. P for paragraph, L for line... (caps for my emphasis only). Okay if you cannot or chose not to make some of the changes

P1 L2 reads better if you say DID NOT

P2 "Before the Brown vs Board [ ADD IN "of Education" - no shortcuts ... except for lawyers who say v for versus. Saves them one whole letter - lol.]

Spell out ONE-THIRD

local spelling MEANT, Board's << notice apostrophe

change "An example was" to "FOR EXAMPLE,"

avoid common language: hand-me-downs ... short end of the stick ... "One way is due to the fact" ... "Everyone lives ... doomed to repeat it."<< OMIT! It is a cliche. ditto "all for one, and one for all." << so erase that whole sentence.

On May 17, 1954 the court came to THEIR decision....

... You can say >> "Segregation .... , especially in schools, belittled African American." but you cannot support that position. {Even if crafty lawyers made it work for them.}

Source(s): food for thought, from an adult with a college education.
  • 6 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

MY civil rights Brown Vs. Board essay?

Just wanted to know what you thought on it. btw I&#39;m in 7th grade regular English, working with a partner who didn&#39;t do half their work. So just if you think I could add something plz tell thanks!!!

In the 1950’s, the general rule for schools was “separate but equal”. Across the south,...

Source(s): civil rights brown board essay: https://biturl.im/0OCt1
  • 8 years ago

I think it's really great! I'm also in 7th grade and had to do an essay about the segregation laws. Your conclusion paragraph is very strong and left a good idea of the impact of this case. I really liked it! Good job :)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.