Would working as an Electrician help me in Electrical Engineering?

It's my senior year in High School and since the school year is close to ending, my dad wants me to go work with him in the summer as an Apprentice Electrician. My plan is to get a bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering (possibly a Master's depending how I do in school). Anyways, my dad thought that it would be a good idea for me to go work with him in order to raise money for college.

My question is whether getting some experience as an Electrician help me in my future pursue of career Electrical Engineering? Being worthwhile of being mentioned in a resume for example.

My Engineering teacher in High School told me that he could refer me to his old Engineering firm where he used to work before so that I could get experience and get an intern there but there is no assurance of getting paid whilst doing so, yet alone getting an intern there. (Note: I wouldn't be going empty handed either as I would be graduating high school and be considered a sophomore in college due to the college credits I have attained like engineering graphics, Calculus etc.)

Any advice on which of the both I could do? Working in the summer as an electrician might pay me better, but I don't know if it would help me with experience regarding to Electrical Engineering while getting an internship at the engineering firm would help me in the future, but the pay wouldn't probably be near as much.

What should I do?

Thanks for your time, sorry if it was a bit long

P.S. I didn't know in what category to place this question

• Favorite Answer

I'm an electrical engineer, and I worked as an apprentice electrician. My dad is a master electrician.

Electrical work is associated with construction. It is almost completely unrelated to what you will learn as an Electrical Engineering student, since EE's focus on the math, physics and design methodologies for electronics and communication systems, whereas electricians really only focus on putting things where they go and making sure they are safe. I learned nothing really useful about electrical engineering from my work as an electrician.

That is not to say it won't look good on a resume. Many engineering jobs in all engineering fields want people who are capable of working with heavy equipment and have some hands-on experience with something mechanical. In fact, I have been directly asked in interviews by prospective employers whether or not I've had experience with hands-on mechanical hobbies like fixing a car or doing my own electrical repairs.

If you won't get paid as an intern at the engineering firm, then don't bother with it. At your stage in life, having the money will be more important than having stuff to put on a resume. If you can, try to graduate completely debt-free.

Definitely take the internship!!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot stress that enough! I am an ECE major in college right now, looking for internships, and employers love to see that you already have experience in the industry. This does NOT mean experience using the electronics or work as an electrician. Electrical Engineers understand and develop the technology, where Electricians use, install, repair (not trying to be harsh or anything, there's obviously more to both). I would honestly say to take advantage of the internship, which will significantly pay off for you later. Even if it is unpaid!

Source(s): I am an ECE major in college

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

It's my senior year in High School and since the school year is close to ending, my dad wants me to go work with him in the summer as an Apprentice Electrician. My plan is to get a bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering (possibly a Master's depending how I do in school). Anyways,...

Source(s): working electrician electrical engineering: https://biturl.im/5c7st
  • ?

Absolutely correct ! Most engineer lacks of practical experience to face a real on job repair. Most electrician lacks of theoretic mind of complex calculation. Go for it, that is the right way to guide you into an easier success in this field. Training on electronic at the same time also needed.

Internships have become such a big part of the educational process that the demand is getting much greater than the openings. I would go for the internship. It gets your foot in the door and also gives you a taste for the work.

I had an internship at an aero space firm and it showed me that I didn't want to go in that direction. You might find you are not interested in electrical engineering.

• HL2k

It will help given that you will increase your knowledge of electricity, electronics and functions therein. Engineering is just the science of how it is created, works together and is built.

At the very worst, you'll have experience you can fall back on for life.