Why haven't I heard much about electric vehicles recently?

A couple of years ago I heard a lot about them. Now the excitement about them seemed to die down considerably. With gas prices going up and up you would think electric vehicles would be much more popular but they aren't. Why don't people seem to like electric vehicles?

Update:

I would like more information than just "The oil companies".

9 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

There was an electric vehicle in the 1990's and it was quietly killed until the movie came out a few years later, "Who killed the electric car." Just after that Tesla came up with the idea of using computer batteries as a way to make a long range electric vehicle and to get around the patent encumbrance of the Nickel metal hydride batteries (used in all the hybrids until this year.)

The Tesla Roadster made such a big splash that it made GM sit up and take notice. .... And the media took over. Everyone was speculating about what "could be" from the tiny scientific advancements in battery technology. Very few technological media articles are reporting what exists in vast numbers. They report what might or could be.

But then science and technology has to catch up. It is a bit like designing a building compared to actually having to build it. Some of the science has been slowed by bad press from oil companies, but in fairness an economic downturn did not help matters. Wild overspending on two foreign wars did not help help to push domestic technology.

Infrastructure also has to catch up. There are now over 5000 charging stations in the US. But this has to be compared to the over 140,000 gasoline stations. Ultimately the only infrastructure that makes sense is to transmit power to electric vehicles. This requires not only a technology that is understood but a political will. With at least one political party working harder to maintain its power or come into power rather than the general welfare of the population a large cooperative construction project is very unlikely.

So yes, there are powerful interests against electric vehicles but we are also in a period of technological catch up and there is not a lot of new information to report.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Monza
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

Oh, the stories are out there. It's just the hype is not there. The stories I see these days is that Chevy Volts are not selling close to expectation. Same for the Leaf, and many of the other cars. Consumers don't see much advantage with them. The range is typically under a 100 miles. The batteries are expensive, being around $7,500 for the basic version that has to be replaced every seven on estimates. Then with the steep price tag, the price of gas would have to get closer to $9 a gallon to get people excited about electric cars.

To get people excited in the current market, the batteries will have to get much better, or the cars will have to get much cheaper. The same car in a gas model is about $20k cheaper, so even at $3.50 a gallon gas. After all, if you spending $1,200 a year on gas in a $16k car, why would you spend $36k on limited distance that causes stress, just so you can make you gas bill less than a $.25 a gallon with an apples to apples comparison not to mention having to worry about that battery in seven?

Electric cars are neat, but they are just not there yet, so the hype is gone. If gas keeps going up, the hype will start back up.

• 7 years ago

Price is not competative with gasoline vehicles.

The Chevy Volt is a good example. It's a hybrid combo electric and gasoline car, that gets 93 per gallon. But at $40000 it is pricey. The economy is in the dumps, so the average consumer doesn't have that kind of money for a new car. And the car has had recalls and problems. So people might want to wait till the technology is perfected and all the bugs are out.

Have you heard that DMC is producing an electric Delorian?

• 7 years ago

"Why haven't I heard much about electric vehicles recently?"

maybe it's because you don't read enough?

I don't know where you've been, but I've seen electric vehicles written about rather extensively within the last month in the Wall Street Journal, and Consumer Reports. And I've seen ads for them (Chevy Volt, Toyota Prius plug-in) on TV and in print magazines.

So far the two major obstacles to broader ownership seem to be; cost; and limited range on batteries, but they'll get better, and probably more popular as the technology improves.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

I once saw an AT&T commercial: "Have you ever paid your toll... without slowing down?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cOvXn40EZw

Youtube thumbnail

Yeah, we all have. Which is why you haven't seen that commercial lately. YAWN.

Same thing with the electric cars. They're a lot less newsworthy now that you can just walk into a dealership and get one.

• Kano
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

For electric vehicles to be feasible, a big advance in battery technology is needed, that just hasn't happened yet.

• John W
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

When gas prices really go up, I would be brewing ethanol from rotten fruit from the grocers. EV's are just plain expensive.

• 7 years ago

Fuel makes the government most of there money, so they will probably wait until all of the resources are gone, and then start introducing new transport methods.

Source(s): Take cigarettes for example, they kill millions, yet the goverment won't ban them because it makes a lot of there money.
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

You want an honest answer?

The oil companies.

That's about it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.